Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Xenon Light Globes

F

flipsyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde
i got 100w and der good no problems must be a hassle for other drivers tho. i dont like it when i see a car aproachin me with them installed.. too bright

you dont like it so you installed them in your own car? that sounds really logical
bought em already in the car

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Be warned, the higher you go with headlight bulb wattage the more likely the next bump will blow the bulb.

Commo lights are not too bad for a stock car, my cruiser used 85/100 hallogen headlights (yes, illegal so make sure they are adjusted lower than stock) and a pair of XXOS Hella 130w driving lights, problem is that off road the driving lights would often blow bulbs with the slightest bump, so keep spare bulbs with ya at all times.

The Blue halogen bulbs work OK, give off a much whiter light, different brands are better than cheap chinese copies so shop around.

460w tends to drain the electrical system a tad so change over to a higher current alternator and bigger CCA battery before changing lights to such extremes.

Worked great out in the bush where roos are a nuisance, a big roo hit at 100kms+ will do a lot of damage to a commodore front end.

Seen an XD falcon once that hit a steer at speed, pushed the engine through the firewall, of course the driver died instantly so it pays to be able to see where your going.

Last edited:

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
and lets not forget that the higher wattage globes will draw more current and may melt wires if you go too high

F

flipsyde

altezza fronts comin in the mail u think the blue gobes will be too bright for others?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
The light output doesnt change for altezza lights. The standard lights dont block any light. So putting in the altezza lights isnt going to make your headlights any brighter or clearer. They look alright, but no difference from drivers point of view. I have some.

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
I'd have to disagree - 2 of my friends have altezza headlights in their VS (60/55) and they are way too bright - looks worse than high beams.

I have 'extra bright' 60/55 H4's and 100w H3's to help me see the rooskis. Good low beam light with no complaints from other drivers, and high beam is like having spotlights. Works for me. Tried the xenon ones before, won't go back there.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Since when is too bright too much ? you city drivers have street lights, there ain't stuff all up here so you have to see "well" for at least 250m at 100kph.

The problem arises when some fools simply don't bother to adjust the headlights correctly or fail to compensate for a load in the rear end that will change their aim, remember that low beam is meant to be just that, low and to the left, properly adjusted lights should not blind oncoming drivers, and it pays to never look at the oncoming lights, ever, no matter their wattage or setup.

Hologen lights are always brighter by their nature, just don't look at em.

Wires won't melt unless wired incorrectly direct to the battery, the D/L relay / and or fuse should blow way before that if wired and connected with proper terminals, common sense should prevail and using such high wattage the entire wiring needs to be done professionally with the appropriate size wiring and relays.

The old trick of wiring driving lights to the high beam trigger so they come on with high beam is illegal, they must have a seperate switch, even if the same high beam trigger is used.

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
Shounak said:
Were they H4 or H1.. Because I was sure this is the normal one..

C1255.jpg

they were H4's

Bec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6L Wagon
digisol said:
The problem arises when some fools simply don't bother to adjust the headlights correctly or fail to compensate for a load in the rear end that will change their aim.

I found the major culprits are newer landcruiser owners. Most people I know who have them replace the suspension straight away, which picks up the front of the car quite a bit. They obviously haven't adjusted the headlights to compensate.

XSS1VE said:
dont go 100w

100w for the high beam H3's is fine - it's not needed for city driving though.