Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6 speed shifters. Opinions?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Its up to you guys i really dont give two tosses any more, try and learn thats all i can say! We try and help!

What are you on about?

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Having driven both the ripshift & billet products shifter I can tell you this. The billet products shifter is a lot firmer than the ripshift one but feels a lot more precise. The ripshift model feels ultra fast between gears but to me feels sloppy.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
iv driven a car with a ripshifter around a race track, was good, but i haven't driven any other manual gen 3 vy's so can't rely specify whats better, but the guy that was with me said they break a few but only cause people drive them like idiots abusing it, bassicly trying to shift it way to hard and they break of in there hands, he said you could hear the shifter hitting the back of the gates in the h pattern they were slamming them that hard, so if you don't abuse them you'll be ok.

aren't these ripshifters, billet shifters a short shift kit? or do they just make the 2-3 gate easier to slide between?

HRT 666

Cammed 8t-body stroker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubby S2 M6
can the rip shift or simular product be used aswell as a shorter shifter??

I was never happy with the height of the race rip-shift as i had a short shifter from factory, so we cut 30mm off the rip-shift but i think we should have gone 50mm. Might have another go at it when engine gets changed and car is off the road for a couple of weeks.

lsx427

Reaction score
Website
www.seperformance.com.au
Members Ride
VY MALOO
The billet shifter is very nice and you can tell when you look at it that time and money have gone into making them-

it has a very firm grip and it is sharp in the shifts-

i have used both and the billet anyday of the week-

U pay for what you get-

Thanks

Nick--

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Can I just ask, what people mean by "positive shift"? I hear those words used to describe pretty much every aftermarket shifter, with the assumption people will magically know what the **** that means. Can someone enlighten me?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Can't say i've ever heard the term used before. Would also be interested to find out what it is!

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Thanks for all the responses guys. I decided this afternoon to go for the rip shifter and have purchased one to hopefully have it in this weekend. In the end i was down to either the billet or the rip and after talking to a very helpful and honest rep from billet i went for the rip for the easier shift, for the missus!
Time will tell if i made the right choice buti like the one in my brothers so it should be fine. Will post up install pics in my ride thread for those who are interested.

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
Can't say i've ever heard the term used before. Would also be interested to find out what it is!

Perhaps the term is being confused with "positive stop"? Which is just the adjustment on the shifter to prevent over-throwing gear changes and damaging syncros.

Btw stealthy i've got a mal wood t56 sitting out the back waiting to go in my vs, i cant wait! The shifter was described to me as a "short throw" shifter, and also appears to be quite short in height. This means they're not shifting in quite the same way as a billet or rip shifter, correct?

Cheers