Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6 speed shifters. Opinions?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Perhaps the term is being confused with "positive stop"? Which is just the adjustment on the shifter to prevent over-throwing gear changes and damaging syncros.

Btw stealthy i've got a mal wood t56 sitting out the back waiting to go in my vs, i cant wait! The shifter was described to me as a "short throw" shifter, and also appears to be quite short in height. This means they're not shifting in quite the same way as a billet or rip shifter, correct?

Cheers

Yeah that sounds about better. Was going to say never heard positive shift before lol

You wont be disappointed with the box, i know i'm not ;)
By his wording, it sounded to me as if the tremek one does the exact same thing as the rip and billet. Short throw is what the Rip is described as having in the ad.

Either way, the 2nd to 3rd shift is almost like shifting 3rd to 4th, you'll barely even notice the stick moving sideways!

You would already have hydrolic clutch yeah? I'm still using cable!

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
Yeah that sounds about better. Was going to say never heard positive shift before lol

You wont be disappointed with the box, i know i'm not ;)
By his wording, it sounded to me as if the tremek one does the exact same thing as the rip and billet. Short throw is what the Rip is described as having in the ad.

Either way, the 2nd to 3rd shift is almost like shifting 3rd to 4th, you'll barely even notice the stick moving sideways!

You would already have hydrolic clutch yeah? I'm still using cable!

lol, bugger all gate huh? Sounds awesome dude, i really cant wait now! Any benefit/difference in changing to hydraulic from cable (yeah vs is hydraulic)?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
lol, bugger all gate huh? Sounds awesome dude, i really cant wait now! Any benefit/difference in changing to hydraulic from cable (yeah vs is hydraulic)?

Hydraulic is better for high power combo's. Since mines only a daily, i didn't see the need to convert it!

HRT 666

Cammed 8t-body stroker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubby S2 M6
You guys are funny, ya's talk like you know all about the ripshift yet ya dont own one!
Haha well I do and ive had it in my car for about 18 months. The shifts are great all the slop that was in the factory shifter is GONE, shorter throws and feels firmer as in gates are much closer.
The term positive shift comes down to confidence in knowing what gear your trying to select will happen.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
You guys are funny, ya's talk like you know all about the ripshift yet ya dont own one!
Haha well I do and ive had it in my car for about 18 months. The shifts are great all the slop that was in the factory shifter is GONE, shorter throws and feels firmer as in gates are much closer.
The term positive shift comes down to confidence in knowing what gear your trying to select will happen.

And you havn't used any of the others?

I've only said MY experiences with the shifter I'VE used! I never said anything about the rip shifter except what Australia's most reputable gearbox builder told me!

As with your shifter, my shifter is great, and no slop! Never missed a gear yet!

HRT 666

Cammed 8t-body stroker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubby S2 M6
Well good for you! Ive tryed other shifters but was most happy with the ripshift in the end and thats why i made my choice!

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well good for you! Ive tryed other shifters but was most happy with the ripshift in the end and thats why i made my choice!

Isn't it great everyone is happy ;)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Its up to you guys i really dont give two tosses any more, try and learn thats all i can say! We try and help!

Yes well you wont be happy untill you have the last say!

Seems to me what YOU say is the only thing thats valid on a forum. Shouldn't matter to you what anyone else has an opinion on then ;)

This is the idea of the forum, to give different options! Sure, yours has been good for 18months, but mine has been in almost 2 years, and i think its awesome.Someone else used a billet shifter, why can't we post up our experience aswell?

You should look at contacting admin to setup something that automatically locks posts after you have had your say, as your word is law ;)

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
well got the rip in today and i'm rapt with it. Took it for a spin and was very impressed with the ease of the shift from 2nd to 3rd. Check out my ride link for pics of installation. Thanks again for the help guys.