Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your parents and technical stuff

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
So last night my main PC farted and shat itself and died. Anyway, I was having a look at it, and my parents were going on about me electrocuting myself. I'm a university student, studying IT, and I've been working with computer hardware for just on 10 years. For most of those 10 years my parents have gone on about me electrocuting myself, since they think that *every* part in a computer runs at 240VAC. I explain to them, "Thats why you have a power supply, to convert the big bad 240VAC to the 3.3/5/12 VDC required to run the computer", which goes in one ear and out the other.

For some reason when it comes to just about anything technical not working properly, my parents always act like a bunch of retarded special school students...I remember a few years back when the Traumatic in the WB shat itself, I said something to someone about it, and Mum tried to explain to me that it was the gearbox that was blown, not the transmission. I tried to explain that they're the same thing, just with a different name, which didn't work.

Anyone else have these sort of experiences? :bang:

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
There is a thread already on this, and I thought you started it lol. Ill find it later.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
There is a thread already on this, and I thought you started it lol. Ill find it later.
lol, i think i started that, but it died. if mods want to merge these i'm sure goVZ won't mind

my parents and their difficulties with computer hardware are well documented on these forums. the most recent case was in the heatwave, the modem shat itself repeatedly. it's lived without a case on it since the last heatwave when i took it off to try to cool it better.
since it seemed to make no difference this time round i put the case back on it. next day cue a call from my mum
mum "we have no internet or email"
me "have you tried resetting the modem?"
mum "just a second... it's not there."
me "well that will be your problem then."

after a second or so i clued into the fact that she couldn't identify the modem anymore because it had its top on. it was in the same place, with the same cables that she was always familiar with, it just had a roof and front on it this time.

also a mates mums pc just shat itself. the psu popped in the heat so we switched it out. the entire time she was hassling about whether she'd lose any of her photos. i told her computers these days store very little data in the power supply but she was unconvinced. i thought about comparing it to a car where you can change the battery but the engine works just the same, but then i'd have TWO things to explain, not one.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
my favourite was a mate's mum who once insisted he be sure to get the stuff he was copying for me onto disk back when i was finished with it.

Eliminator

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maranello red Vn V8 Calais
My parent s and granparents think the internet is ''baloney'' ...usueless info and all.... when really its quite an informative way to research things on the cheap with views from many different people (which most of its accurate)

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
plug it in and give them a demo on what you can and can't touch:yeah:

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
You know what? One day you will all be your parents age and technology over taken you, and you will be asking your kids questions, they will roll their eyes at you.. and history will be repeated.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
You've got kiddies, and you know how to work computermaboberiseras.

So, your very existance contradicts your last statement.

Oh dear, i've gone cross eyed...