Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your parents and technical stuff

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
You know what? One day you will all be your parents age and technology over taken you, and you will be asking your kids questions, they will roll their eyes at you.. and history will be repeated.

i never admit defeat to my kids:p

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
You've got kiddies, and you know how to work computermaboberiseras.

So, your very existance contradicts your last statement.

Oh dear, i've gone cross eyed...

me too lols, Im still at the point where I know more than the kids..... oh except when it comes to Nintendo DS + the mod chip, Im over my head there these days lols

what shits me is my mum could install dos back in the day on our 386, yet she cant install windows xp.....

arg!!

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
meh, mum knows im right with techincal stuff, she asks, i tell, she says whatever that is, and says as long as you know, you can fix it for me, and walks off

BootifuL

I Love My Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX wagon
I rekon ill be like that! Our eldest is 4 and a half and thinks he knows everything about anything, its hard debating with a 4 year old as when they have their mind set they are right no matter what you say!!!

I rekon when i am 40yrs old there will be all these new gadgets that i have no clue what so ever about but pretend i know what im doing!

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
You've got kiddies, and you know how to work computermaboberiseras.

So, your very existance contradicts your last statement.

Oh dear, i've gone cross eyed...

Yes there are always going to be exceptions to the rule, like myself, but only because it is an interest and I keep up to date with technology. But most people around my age can only start their computers and navigate to email and a browser.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Yes there are always going to be exceptions to the rule, like myself, but only because it is an interest and I keep up to date with technology. But most people around my age can only start their computers and navigate to email and a browser.

Yes once you get to the ripe old age of 80, these things happen dear..... ;)

lol Sash, why do you sound so old in your posts these days?

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
dude you can still kill yourself with 12v DC 3.3v and 5V too, its the current that kills you, and I know, I know everybody says it, but I just said it again WAHHHHH!

if you puncture yourself ona contact that is charged or live across a digit AKA a finger and a finger on your other hand is the closest path to earth it will go straight across your heart and stop it.

ina ll honesty i know allot more then my parents about most things technical, but dad just showed me how to use the DVD recorder on TV I was so lost, yet on the other hand I was brought up on computers and can do anything with them, even have a diploma somewhere that was a big waste of time :p

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
You know what? One day you will all be your parents age and technology over taken you, and you will be asking your kids questions, they will roll their eyes at you.. and history will be repeated.

Nah, it wont. Most people these days are raised around technology and ready to welcome new technology in.

The elderly people i know refuse to learn.

Thats the difference.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If I can use myself as an example of the "older generation", our household isn't one where the parents are totally mystified by the computer or modern electronic doo-dads.

I have had a strong interest in technology and technical progress for many years and can show my kids a thing or two about what makes motor vehicles work. (Fact is, they know zip about cars). I also repair most of the appliances around the house when they cark it. I do rely on my son (23) for advice re access to on-line programs which he becomes aware of because he is a greater user of the pc than me, but I know more about things like Excel and Word, which were bread and butter to me in my former employment.

Ultimately, he will increase his knowledge of computer programs whereas I will not want to keep up to date as I age. In ten years, he will probably be showing me how to turn his brand new, latest tech computer on because they will have deleted the power key and I won't have a clue what to look for.

GoodKarma

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VEII SSVZ wagon & 2009 Cruze diesel turbo
Hey goVZ, next time you have a fist full of PC and the parents give you the "watch you don't zap yourself" thing tell them it's okay as you have had a few and the body builds up it's immune system to counter these episodes. So you have, in fact, immunities to electrocution on a small scale. That should keep them thinking for a while.
BTW Calaber my dad is 85 and got me to build him a PC, is on the internet, keeps in touch with the family members in Tassie via Messenger (whole webcam thing), is proficient in burning discs and loves it! So we are never too old! (I think??!!:whistling:confused::confused:)