Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 High Rise Manifold on EFI 5L

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
i love the sound of the gear drive, i imagine it lasting longer than a chain.

Dude how to you think they make a sound, sound is energy, it's either sucking power or wearing out to make the sound you love so much. Chains are better, ask Sam about this

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Gear drives wear themselves down after a while. Chains have auto-tensioners, so as they stretch over time, they keep gripping on the pulleys. The chain on my Statesman is 300,000km old and still going strong :) I'd like to see a gear drive last that long.

Also, as everybody else has said, stay well away from those chinese copies. Manifolds are all about flow, and you can bet those babies aren't perfectly flow-matched, and are full of bad casting.

Not to mention, a high-rise manifold will do you NO GOOD! High rise single plane manifolds are for track strokers doing 6000rpm plus all day.

V8's dont run a timing chain tensioner:p

But yes i agree, gears are old and **** much better with a double row chain forget the noise. If you want it, get a gilmer kit or do it properly and get a supercharger

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
V8's dont run a timing chain tensioner:p

But yes i agree, gears are old and **** much better with a double row chain forget the noise. If you want it, get a gilmer kit or do it properly and get a supercharger

haha, you're so right. just ignore me, I'm having flashbacks to my buick days :p ^_^

pedrotski

Big Stato!!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitcroftit.com.au
Members Ride
95 & 96 VS 5L Statos
I dont want a supercharger :S. The chains streach over time and the timing goes out slightly. the gears dont have that problem.

The hp loss would be negligible. I have seen to many peoples timing belts go.

Im set on that.

Im now asking what manifold would be a nice upgrade.

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I dont want a supercharger :S. The chains streach over time and the timing goes out slightly. the gears dont have that problem.

The hp loss would be negligible.

If you want them then get them. You asked people's opinion and many very well informed opinions have been offered. Do with them what you will.

Reaper

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
One of those cheap chinese gear drives would be about as good as a BMX chain....:p

Stick with a good double row timing chain, Gear drives have a nasty habit of snapping camshafts off at the nose. ;)

As far as the manifold goes, stick with the stocker on a stock/mild engine!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
ok if you want the noise its going to be much easier and less ****ing around to put a gilmer drive kit on instead of the gears. You'll still get your noise and save yourself some heartarche and money when you throw in all the **** you got to buy including the gears to install them.

unless your putting a cam in and raising compression dont bother wasting money on a manifold

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
I didn't say gilmer belts i said Timing belts being a belt that does the same job as a timing chain (mostly on euro boxes & Toyotas)....Timing belts & Gilmer belts are 2 totally different things. I think you need to learn the difference...