Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drivers fined for dark window tint

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
I've recently had mine tinted in 5% and I realize why it's illegal, makes it so much harder to see at night.

Lucky I enjoy the breeze...

Can't really see the problem with those laws, it's an illegal mod...what do you expect?

S.O.S

White chicks on hey hey!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
I have pretty tinted windows, always have. Only time i feel an issue is night time in a dark tight turn, cant see the gutter through the door window great. But other then that no problem.

Sounds a little like revenue raising. However i am sure, though not 100% sure. Holden did factory tint their windows on an earlier model commodore ?. Off the top of my head only, it was standard feature on the car.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
The thread's point has just flown out the window ladies and gents. Violence in our cities are apparently rampant, not to worry... But watch the **** out if your car has dark tint!!

Way to spend what dwindling resources the NSW government has left, laser lights for the HWP.

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
Watch out guys, he's going to get you!

01_nt_tint_4.jpg

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
where did i mention HWP
Because lack of resources to combat spray paint holding hoods is irrelevant to HWP spending their time booking people for having dark tint. HWP cars usually only deal with the roads, they probably aren't going to be the ones responding to other issues.
Way to spend what dwindling resources the NSW government has left, laser lights for the HWP.
I can't imagine these devices being terribly expensive. And a single purchase lasts years.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I can't imagine these devices being terribly expensive. And a single purchase lasts years.

My point was that the Government thinks illegal window tinting is SO important in the overall scheme of things that it manages to find the funding to purchase these things, yet our basic infrastructure is falling to bits in NSW.

I realise that the cost would not have been huge, but it begs the question - just what does the government think is really important in this State?

Fark me, 16 years of the most incompetent, useless maladminstration in the state's history - the next election can't come quickly enough.

Those of you living outside NSW have nothing to complain about so far as your governments are concerned. This mob is in a league of its own.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
My point was that the Government thinks illegal window tinting is SO important in the overall scheme of things that it manages to find the funding to purchase these things, yet our basic infrastructure is falling to bits in NSW.

I realise that the cost would not have been huge, but it begs the question - just what does the government think is really important in this State?

Fark me, 16 years of the most incompetent, useless maladminstration in the state's history - the next election can't come quickly enough.

Those of you living outside NSW have nothing to complain about so far as your governments are concerned. This mob is in a league of its own.

I would think people not being able to see out their windows safely is a pretty damned important concern. They do not do these things just for the sake of it. I suggest trying to drive a vehicle in low light with 5% tint. The fact it is only highway cars equipped with says that there have been issues on highways with tint that has been too heavy.

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
Who cares. If you have tinted your windows legally you'll be fine. It's not like the 35% rule hasn't been around for the past decade or longer.

If you get caught with with 5% tint, i have no sympathy for you.

HWP aren't concerned with dodgy people in hoodies, it's a moot point.

lol, why no sympathy for???

I work night shift, ive been pulled over many o times for random RBT (cops in my area, arnt the nicest ones either) and ive had no problems with it, ive been complemented on my tint by the police.

Wagon Wheel on this forum got pulled over one night for speedng by this one prick of a cop in our area and the cop gave geoff a defect notice, and it WASNT for the tint.

Some people just have to harden up.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I would think people not being able to see out their windows safely is a pretty damned important concern. They do not do these things just for the sake of it. I suggest trying to drive a vehicle in low light with 5% tint. The fact it is only highway cars equipped with says that there have been issues on highways with tint that has been too heavy.

Minux

You don't need a machine to tell whether the 5% tint is too dark or not, do you? Anybody with half a brain can tell that the dark tints (those which are really dangerous) are illegal. Those tints which are illegal but not total black outs might be less easy to determine as to legality, but are also less dangerous. Let's face it, window tinting has become excessive in recent years; there was a time when only legal tints were available, but the tinting industry seems to think it knows better these days and drivers have it fitted, knowing that it's illegal.

I just believe there are far more important things for this government to spend its limited money on.