Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drivers fined for dark window tint

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
lol, why no sympathy for???
Because people knowingly put illegal tint on their car and then cry unfair when they get defected. Same goes for people who illegally lower their car, have oversized wheels or fit a loud exhaust etc. I see far too many people who knowingly do a dodgy/illegal mods on here and then have a sook when it goes pear shaped for them. That and people who are "proud" of their defects.

If someone doesn't get booked for their illegal tint then good for them, but if they do then the only person they have to blame is themselves.

My point was that the Government thinks illegal window tinting is SO important in the overall scheme of things that it manages to find the funding to purchase these things, yet our basic infrastructure is falling to bits in NSW.

I realise that the cost would not have been huge, but it begs the question - just what does the government think is really important in this State?
Each device probably only needs to fine a handful of people before it's paid for itself :p It's a no brainer purchase really - a negative result is virtually impossible to dispute, no running costs and it can't be vandalized.

Last edited:

S.O.S

White chicks on hey hey!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Tint professor once told me they can use the rear reflective tint, all around the car. The fellah finished off with, it's illegal though ?. This rear tint was impossible to see through.

NIXONLS1

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my mum
Who the f**k wants 35%, ya can see straight through the crap. Defeats the purpose of getting tint.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Who the f**k wants 35%, ya can see straight through the crap. Defeats the purpose of getting tint.
A good quality 35% provides a significant reduction in heat, glare and UV light. Contrary to popular belief tint film isn't only to prevent people looking in, and looking fully hectik.

Tint professor once told me they can use the rear reflective tint, all around the car. The fellah finished off with, it's illegal though ?. This rear tint was impossible to see through.
It's not illegal to fit it. It is illegal to drive on public roads with it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Each device probably only needs to fine a handful of people before it's paid for itself :p It's a no brainer purchase really - a negative result is virtually impossible to dispute, no running costs and it can't be vandalized.

Hey TMM,

I realise that these things will pay for themselves, and probably quite quickly. I also don't have any problem with police addressing the issue of excessively dark window tinting.

My point was that in NSW, there are some real issues that need to be addressed and the money could have been better spent. I understand that the money raised by using these devices will go into consolidated revenue, but my point is that police are quite capable of assessing the legality of window tinting without these devices . As I said to Minux, you don't need them to be able to see that a car with 5% tinting is illegal, and many of the shades of tinting between 5% and 35% would be equally obvious to the naked eye. It's only those tints that just exceed the limits that would not be so obvious, and do they really represent such an issue that they need to be detected and assessed by a device?

NIXONLS1

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my mum
Maybe have the percentage printed on the tint so it cannot be removed

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
My point was that in NSW, there are some real issues that need to be addressed and the money could have been better spent.
In the short term, yes. The government seems to spend money on whatever gets screamed at them the most, which according to the media is baby killing v8 car hoons with tinted windows. It's just another case of the minority ruining it for the majority.

It's only those tints that just exceed the limits that would not be so obvious, and do they really represent such an issue that they need to be detected and assessed by a device?
That is a valid point. We could argue for ever, as it is controversial as speed cameras. At the end of the day it's fine with me, as it only affects people breaking the law, not me :)

Maybe have the percentage printed on the tint so it cannot be removed
Apparently some places already do this. Still doesn't prevent people from doing a dodgy and stamping a dark tint with a lighter number.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
there was a time when only legal tints were available, but the tinting industry seems to think it knows better these days and drivers have it fitted, knowing that it's illegal.

I think I mentioned this a while ago, this is where the "chain of responsibility" setup should come into businesses. If business knowingly provides illegal modifications they should be held somewhat responsible for doing so. A great system which would really help the government without really spending a cent.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think I mentioned this a while ago, this is where the "chain of responsibility" setup should come into businesses. If business knowingly provides illegal modifications they should be held somewhat responsible for doing so. A great system which would really help the government without really spending a cent.

Yep, have to agree. It is ridiculous that legitimate businesses can offer an "illegal" service quite legitimately, and that the consumer is the one at fault in all cases because they are the user who commits the offence.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
In the short term, yes. The government seems to spend money on whatever gets screamed at them the most, which according to the media is baby killing v8 car hoons with tinted windows. It's just another case of the minority ruining it for the majority.

That's certainly not an issue in NSW. Street racing is a big deal, but window tinting never rates a mention. It just isn't on the political radar like street racing, murders, street violence.