Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

auto vs manual debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
Hmmm not so sure about that, any is a bold statement :p A high hp v8 would certainly benefit from a stalled auto down the strip compared to its manual equivalent, not the case with many other cars.

Technically speaking the fastest shifting transmissions are manual anyway.

drag cars are auto.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
i love manuals for the sake that i enjoy driving them and having the control over the car. I get bored in an auto, especially on nice windy roads.
I dislike a badly tuned auto because of the untimed kickbacks and lag

Spot on.... I get real bored, and fiddle around with things when driving auto, I also find I pay less attention to actually driving, caus its like point and steer.
I feel in control and alot safer driving manual, knowing exactly what the car is going to do, and what gear its in.

I dont hate Auto cars, but it does **** me when people say they cant drive manual, and they flat out refuse to even learn because they "cant", its bullshit. My nephew is 5 and has been driving the landcruiser in low range for nearly a year, he does the pedals to get going then sits up and stears until he needs to stop, then he jumps down and clutches and brakes.... quite humerous, but Im sure if he can work it out, everyone else can. We sit in the car with him, just incase, but so far we have never had to grab the wheel, or handbrake.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
Auto's are so easy and cruisy, and make light work of big power.

Try driving a manual car on the far side of 500hp on the road, then come back and tell me it's "Fun".
Sure is. For an hour.

couldnt agree more, maunals are ok in standard cars, even then in traffic they are a pain in the ass, add some decent power and a HD cluty and ur gonna get pissed off after a while. tons of people who start off with manual and add some power eventually convert to auto.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
I can see where you are coming from but if you are mechanically minded, which most car enthusiasts are, knowing when to change gears isn't hard until you are on a drag strip and 50-100 revs means a win or loss, especially when the whole race is 10 sec long. I don't believe that driving smooth is hard at all on the street. Shift timing and speed are only a matter of hearing the engine, takes effort but its not an art. If you thinks its an art but, so be it.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Spot on.... I get real bored, and fiddle around with things when driving auto, I also find I pay less attention to actually driving, caus its like point and steer.
I feel in control and alot safer driving manual, knowing exactly what the car is going to do, and what gear its in.

I dont hate Auto cars, but it does **** me when people say they cant drive manual, and they flat out refuse to even learn because they "cant", its bullshit. My nephew is 5 and has been driving the landcruiser in low range for nearly a year, he does the pedals to get going then sits up and stears until he needs to stop, then he jumps down and clutches and brakes.... quite humerous, but Im sure if he can work it out, everyone else can. We sit in the car with him, just incase, but so far we have never had to grab the wheel, or handbrake.

He's an artist.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
drag cars are auto.

Before this gets locked as they always do. Your talking about ONE aspect of motorsport. All the rest use manuals. Some still use manuals for racing, some specifically choose manual for the same reason i do, autos don't count in their eyes. Fastest manual pass is 7 seconds or something, not bad really.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
Before this gets locked as they always do. Your talking about ONE aspect of motorsport. All the rest use manuals. Some still use manuals for racing, some specifically choose manual for the same reason i do, autos don't count in their eyes. Fastest manual pass is 7 seconds or something, not bad really.

yeh but he said the fast shift transmissions are manual, but there, the fastest shifting transmission are clearly in drag cars and there all auto.

yeh and if were talking F1 there hardly manual these days, arnt they running clutchless now? probably because its quicker?

Driving a v8 supercar on the hand really is an art.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
what car is that out of interest? ( not saying its not true) I agree, a lot of cars do use manual, as I said, but they are sequential boxes most the time without clutches. You cant compare the shift of a F1 with a everyday Commo but.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
yeh but he said the fast shift transmissions are manual, but there, the fastest shifting transmission are clearly in drag cars and there all auto.

yeh and if were talking F1 there hardly manual these days, arnt they running clutchless now? probably because its quicker?

Driving a v8 supercar on the hand really is an art.

Agree agree agree, that is an art, go kart racing is an art, racing in general is an art, not JUST being able to drive a manual. My grandma drive a manual car, no really!! lol

Why would the thread get locked, are we not discussing something of common interest between Commo lovers about cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.