Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whos got an LSD/minispool?!

flanker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss hdt aero
Hi.

I'm currently torn between a mini-spool and mechanical LSD (clutch packs, like kaaz etc)

my mechanic is scaring me with prices, and I'm interested in what you fellas paid for your LSD's if you got one fitted, or heard about others doing it.

I curious about how bad minispools are on the road. My vn is not a daily driver.
If im coasting around a corner with a minispool, is it likely my rear end is going to slide out on me?

EDIT: Also diff gears. I'm looking to get 3.7, and my mechanic told me they're around 700bucks brand new. WTTTTFFFFF

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
mischa on here just got a LSD and 3.45 diff gears done for 500 bucks ish

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Fitted a minispool a few weeks ago. Dont listen to people who tell you they are dangerous because they are NOT. I only have soft 205's on the rear and the car will not slide out just by turning sharply. I did some 'testing' in a secluded open bichamen area just to be amazed how well the car still sticks. Ive never had any problems in wet nor has it stepped out unexpectedly EVER. I can still corner sharply at 100k's with no problem at all. Most of the time you forget you even have one... until it comes to parking. But you get over/used to it. :)

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
Fitted a minispool a few weeks ago. Dont listen to people who tell you they are dangerous because they are NOT. I only have soft 205's on the rear and the car will not slide out just by turning sharply. I did some 'testing' in a secluded open bichamen area just to be amazed how well the car still sticks. Ive never had any problems in wet nor has it stepped out unexpectedly EVER. I can still corner sharply at 100k's with no problem at all. Most of the time you forget you even have one... until it comes to parking. But you get over/used to it. :)

Agree with everything you said. I had a mini spool in my car and not once did it 'lose control'. I wouldn't recommend a mini spool in a daily driver, LSD is much nicer for low speed corners and reversing. You can get LSD centres off ebay for around $300.

flanker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss hdt aero
My mechanic isnt a franchise, he works from his home. Why would his pricing be so high. He charges F all for everything else he does, (gearbox rebuild, clutch, servicing even hydraulic handbrake)

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
I got my LSD freshly built with all new internals, all installed cost me $550 i think. was in there for about 6 months and wasn't as good as i expected it to be, so i got a spool fitted. That cost me $270 all up including all new bearings.

The spool is a bit annoying at real low speeds, but overall its really great. If its not a daily, then i highly recommend it! I'm putting the LSD i took out into my daily car.

VN_chris

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore S
I had the holden factory LSD fitted a couple of weeks ago, it cost $237 to get the centers swaped over.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
A spool can be a bit understeery in some conditions, but in normal driving conditions it's far more predictable than an LSD, especially a worn LSD.

trav_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss and vs statesman
i agree i jus put a spool in mine the cornering at low speeds is annoying but they dont spin out or any thing like that if anything it sticks a bit better than my old diff to the ground just my opinion