Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Factory L67 TwinCharged Plans

azza77

Kiss my coight
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Super6
I wasn't aware of the cost. The ebay alternative is much more tempting

Would like to say I probably searched every possible avenue in regards to a cooling system. Those barrel coolers are extremely compact but in regards to how well they work, i have my doubts, that and they are ridiculously priced. They have only a .1PSI loss at 15PSI for a reason, there not as effective as others. Generally speaking the more PSI you loose from the intercooler, the better they are. Provided theyre engineered correctly.

azza77

Kiss my coight
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Super6
How about this it's not cheap but rated for 800hp and very close ratio

6x Six Speed Transmission

:eek: Holly shita, how about we all start a funding account for azza's 850hp transmission! Wouldnt that be nice! Think ill have to sift through ebays f*ckin garbage and find a second hand one in good nick. was really hoping not to spend $2000+ on the transmission, if thats just not the case then i simply wont go for high HP till i can afford it. $12000 is my cut off point a the moment for performance. Currently its up to $3500 in performance mods.

warrjon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jaguar XJS V12 & VXII Super6 Calais
Would like to say I probably searched every possible avenue in regards to a cooling system. Those barrel coolers are extremely compact but in regards to how well they work, i have my doubts, that and they are ridiculously priced. They have only a .1PSI loss at 15PSI for a reason, there not as effective as others. Generally speaking the more PSI you loose from the intercooler, the better they are. Provided theyre engineered correctly.

Have a look through Autospeed Julian Edgar did an article on making your own W2A IC and it was very well priced and pretty efficient (at cooling that is).

With cooling the 2 best mediums to use are copper (silver is better but that would be a lot of old bangles) and water both have the best heat transfer properties.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
i would be working on keeping it simple the KISS method never fails LOL. turbo into charger out via air to air charger mount through big 300x600x100 or 115 front mount air to air cooler back in through the throttlebody mounted on air to air charger mount on the drivers side that way you can run a BOV before the throttle body to kep the system primed for quick respone when the pedals stomped down :D .water to air is good if you can keep the water cold or if you are at the drags and can keep filling it with ice cold water but on the street an air to air is normally king plenty of air round no filling up :D add a water sprayer on the intercooler she will be good as even on hot days.simple easy cheap light weight

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
i would be working on keeping it simple the KISS method never fails

+1.

you can always improve/redo/modify a simple setup to make it better.

I would just go turbo->throttle body->supercharger->BIG a2a intercooler to start off with.

cheap and easy to do. From there, you can measure your temperatures and see some REAL WORLD figures, not imagined ones, and redesign to suit.

My intake temps have never exceeded more than +10degrees above ambient, measured at the plenum. (and that's after back to back dyno runs all night long).

both the pipes leading out of both chargers are very touchable, all the time. - although my charger switches off when turbo is making decent boost.

anyway - I agree with d.w. and say keep it simple for the first iteration. As nice as it would be to design and build a euphoric setup to start off with - it's probably not practical, and you'll run into lots of snags along the way anyway. If you start with something simple and expand on it, it's hard to make a wrong turn :), and you're making decisions on what to do based on observation of real world values, not a bunch of blokes imagineering away.

As far as drivetrain etc goes - how much power are you ultimately planning to make? how are you going to drive it? auto/manual? is the car solely a street car? or is it meant to take out records at drag strips or circuits as well?

azza77

Kiss my coight
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Super6
+1.

I would just go turbo->throttle body->supercharger->BIG a2a intercooler to start off with.

cheap and easy to do. From there, you can measure your temperatures and see some REAL WORLD figures, not imagined ones, and redesign to suit.

My intake temps have never exceeded more than +10degrees above ambient, measured at the plenum. (and that's after back to back dyno runs all night long).

both the pipes leading out of both chargers are very touchable, all the time. - although my charger switches off when turbo is making decent boost.

anyway - I agree with d.w. and say keep it simple for the first iteration. As nice as it would be to design and build a euphoric setup to start off with - it's probably not practical, and you'll run into lots of snags along the way anyway. If you start with something simple and expand on it, it's hard to make a wrong turn :), and you're making decisions on what to do based on observation of real world values, not a bunch of blokes imagineering away.

As far as drivetrain etc goes - how much power are you ultimately planning to make? how are you going to drive it? auto/manual? is the car solely a street car? or is it meant to take out records at drag strips or circuits as well?

Yeah your right, although it is good to have a plan isnt it? Also keeps the brain ticking and gives more ideas to (attempt) to get it right the first time. Instead of diving head first and not really having a base line were to start. Obviously the designs will change compared to whats going on the car, but like i said, youve gotta start somewhere. Theory first, then practical. How much power? Initially I dont really have a set goal in terms of power, id be quite happy with 250rwkw but anything over that ill be happy with. How am I going to drive it? Probably with cruise control like usual 90% of the time, 20's are too f*ckin expensive to go nuts, just a little bit of play every now an then. For the better part of next year it will just be a daily but after that it will be devoted to the strip, or whenever i finish my LS1 cruiser. In the long term id like to see 11's down the 1/4 if not quicker.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Yeah your right, although it is good to have a plan isnt it? Also keeps the brain ticking and gives more ideas to (attempt) to get it right the first time. Instead of diving head first and not really having a base line were to start. Obviously the designs will change compared to whats going on the car, but like i said, youve gotta start somewhere. Theory first, then practical. How much power? Initially I dont really have a set goal in terms of power, id be quite happy with 250rwkw but anything over that ill be happy with. How am I going to drive it? Probably with cruise control like usual 90% of the time, 20's are too f*ckin expensive to go nuts, just a little bit of play every now an then. For the better part of next year it will just be a daily but after that it will be devoted to the strip, or whenever i finish my LS1 cruiser. In the long term id like to see 11's down the 1/4 if not quicker.

Problem is the theory isn't always right - especially in a setup like this, where there is just so much stuff going on at once, that it's very very difficult to predict what will happen.

And when you're spending dollars according to a theory, it's a shame if that theory ends up being incorrect.

anyway - seeing as you won't be getting right up it 90% of the time, I'd probably not stress about the cooler between the turbo and SC first time around. The SC should be able to deal with any temperatures a correctly selected turbo puts out :)

I haven't had much experience with w2a coolers - I know alot of drag cars run w2a because they can put ice cold water etc in there (as mentioned above) and it won't melt in the 8 seconds it takes em to run down the strip :p

as for a street car - again, i haven't dealt with the w2a setups before, but can vouch for a good a2a style cooler containing temps when on the move. In heavy traffic it might be a different story - but how often are you doing full throttle runs in bumper to bumper traffic ? :p

Have you thought about turbo choice? - I'd be looking at something like a GT42 or equivalent size... perhaps a bit bigger, or with a large exhaust housing - youll have no shortage of exhaust gasses to spool the thing quickly, and it would make some pretty damn good and lazy/safe big power :)

Another thing to consider is the bypass valve mechanism within the supercharger. How does this actually work?

Luke.

warrjon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jaguar XJS V12 & VXII Super6 Calais
+1.

Best advice so far

It is like development on anything have an overall goal to work towards then break each phase down into bite size chunks.

SO before you start throwing money at this as Luke says decide how you plan on using the car

Hey Luke are you planning on keeping your bypass?? if so have you thought about using a Subaru twinturbo exhaust crossover? Just a thought

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff
this is a good read guys ok luke from what i understand [ im new to turbos]you want a large zorst housing on the turbo but not to large on the intake side as it is not realy needed. is this right. just big enouf to make the low amount of boost you need but the rear needs to be big simply not to be so much of a restriction. so in this application would a rear housing of 1.20 an front of say .55 be right what your after ????