Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Design for my air intake. Any good?

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
did you drill a hole to feed the pipe down?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Well i finally ripped out my gas mixer because its a piece of it sh*t along with the converter that doesn't work, so i had to rebuild the intake. I ended up doing it like this. Just wondering if this set up is any good or if i should put it in a different orientation, and is there a way to make the ecu re-learn as i got a feeling its still set to a gas setup. Im gonna be getting a foamy tune done soon so its not too much of a necessity, mainly concerned for petrol consumption.

on a different note do a bigger MAF make an large improvement on a N/A V6?

thanks

How is it different to any other Pod system on the road??? You need to duct cold air from the front of the car somehow. HSV OTR system is as good as any.

Reaper

BENJAMUM

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.3 ltr blown vy ute & vs 5L ute
i bought the ute with the home made cai set up and bought the standard 1 for more air. But my the looks of it his cut the bottom out of the box and used expander foam then used car bog on top in the 1st pic u can c where is comin through the gard

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
reaper theres two ways that can that it will be different from a typical OTRCAI. 1 is that the actual housing will not technically be under the bonnet. after a while the plastic from the OTRCAI has to heat up because of the heat from the engine, thus heating the air that comes through. Also the ducts from the OTRCAI are quite small and restricted where as the system that im going for will duct through more air.

Anyway its just a new way of doing things, might be a cheaper and better option than an OTRCAI, or it might be a peice of crap. we will find out and see

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
UPDATE NUMBER 1

i mocked up how the vents will look. there will be two of them as i said before and then they will run into one single pipe and then straight into the air box. what do you all think

Attachments

• IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMAG0049.jpg
    IMAG0049.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMAG0050.jpg
    IMAG0050.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 240

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if you look very carefully at the pics a few posts up you can see that when the bonnet is closed that there is stuff all room for the OTRCAI to actually get any cool air. the design of the VR/VS front bar/grill prevents any air coming through the front of the car coming up to the OTRCAI. have a look at the front of any VR/VS with the bonnet closed and you'll see there are only a few millimeters gap there.

the big winner in that pic is the pipe going down through the gaurd and taking cold air from under the front bar.

BENJAMUM

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.3 ltr blown vy ute & vs 5L ute
dont c why it wouldnt work take sum pic when u put it al together

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
my design is to take air from under under the car though. i just used those bonnet inserts for scoops because im trying to do it all on the cheap. i totally agree with you immortality there is not enough clearance in the bonnet for a VR/VS OTRCAI and i think it would make a minimal difference in terms of funneling in cold air. under the car is the only way to get cold air inducted into the engine, the only other options are cutting holes somewhere or putting in a ridiculous bonnet scoop.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
hey mate have to disagree there, i have the supercharged vs OTRCAI on my car and so do heaps of other people on here, and it does make a huge difference.

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
i am sure they are better than the standard air box but still they are heavily restricted on free flowing air, the bonnet set up of the VR/VS just doesnt cater for it as well as say a VZ does due to the difference in the front grill. im all for the OTRCAI but there has to be a better set up for the VR/VS shape.

Mace Engineering's CAI is just a larger and better designed air box with no actual outside air induction, im going to try and and design something that uses Mace's design along with an under the radiator air intake to absoloutley maximise cold air induction