Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New way to do "Road Works" in the 21st Century

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
make a road with 4 beautiful lanes that people have to pay to use. make it sleek and a nice drive into the city. then impose a permanant 80kmph limit on it. draw a single unbroken white line in the middle of the 4 lanes (for god knows what reason) so no one can change lanes, then police it heavily with unmarked cars so they can catch offenders, rather than patrolling the neighbouring smack-den that is richmond.

have a long straight 80kmph road to the city (toorak rd). at various random intervals impose 50kmph (school) speed limits, just for good measure change the limit from 80kmph to 70kmph and back again randomly without changing any of the road conditions whatsoever. then for further good measure, add tram tracks, and randomly placed 40kmph speed limits, which mean that no idiot will overtake the tram because they dont want to get busted speeding. once again, heavily police with unmarked police cars hiding in side streets and unmarked speed detection units.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
once they've built the road, realise they've only made it single lane instead of double, so they have to spend twice the time they just spent building it, to make it 2 lanes

GDE in Canberra by any chance?
Idiot decision makers :).
Road works for what.... 4 years now?

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
I have been very close to 2 accidents in recent years, alas both were fatal. In both cases speed or road condition was not an issue at all as we were not even doing the posted limit (I was the car in font once, and behind on the other). What does the RTA do after the cleanup?

Reduce the speed limit by 10 and 20kmh - argh what idiot decided that, and why does it seem like a knee jerk reaction where fatal Accidents happen?

Oh and after asking for 7 years to get my street resurfaces, a sister of a state polititian moves in and a week later we get the road done - it pays to have good relatives it seems

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
GDE in Canberra by any chance?
Idiot decision makers :).
Road works for what.... 4 years now?

Yeah - you realise if Canberra didn't oust the Coalition government it would have been completed 3 and half years or so ago... Including the Glenloch Interchange.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
My personal favorite is to spend months and months and months widening a road, impost stupidly slow speed limits and lane closures, make a nice smooth straight freeway... perminately reduce the freeway speed to 80kms... its a 4lane freaking freeway! it should bt 120kms

Other ones include:

performing road works between 7-9am on major roads..during the week and closing a few lanes
reduced speeds at night
reduced speeds on roads near road works..just incase

aZk.

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
those anti-jumper barriers on the westgate are a joke, last wednesday the missus and my self saw a guy sitting on top of them with about 6 police standing around tryin to get him to come down

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
- Make sure when you fix potholes that they are never sealed properly, so that the next time it rains the fill will drain out and the road will have to be repaired again. (as what used to happen when I was back in the Bundaberg area - Goodwood Road was especially bad for this)

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
make a road with 4 beautiful lanes that people have to pay to use. make it sleek and a nice drive into the city. then impose a permanant 80kmph limit on it. draw a single unbroken white line in the middle of the 4 lanes (for god knows what reason) so no one can change lanes, then police it heavily with unmarked cars so they can catch offenders, rather than patrolling the neighbouring smack-den that is richmond.

have a long straight 80kmph road to the city (toorak rd). at various random intervals impose 50kmph (school) speed limits, just for good measure change the limit from 80kmph to 70kmph and back again randomly without changing any of the road conditions whatsoever. then for further good measure, add tram tracks, and randomly placed 40kmph speed limits, which mean that no idiot will overtake the tram because they dont want to get busted speeding. once again, heavily police with unmarked police cars hiding in side streets and unmarked speed detection units.

This ^^^^^

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
For Brisbane and Se Qld in anyone night Have 20 manned police cars sitting at various road works on the highway with lights flashing doing nothing and then have the Police force say they are undermaned and under resoureced to fight crime

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
For Brisbane and Se Qld in anyone night Have 20 manned police cars sitting at various road works on the highway with lights flashing doing nothing and then have the Police force say they are undermaned and under resoureced to fight crime

aww doesnt it jsut make you feel all good inside?

also azk point is a good one. drove to work one day down a regular 2 lane street, have to wait in traffic for 20 mins cos someone had the genious idea of working on the inbound lane in the morning... think, what a bunch of crap... drive back the same road after work only to get tied up on the same street for ALMOST AN HOUR cos' they moved on to the outbound lane!!!! WTF???