Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smoke from gearboot/stick

PirateJoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute, YZF-R6
Take out the centre console and remove the transmission tunnel seal top and bottom. It's either not fitted correctly or has a hole in it. I wouldnt be driving with that **** inside the cabin with me. Even worse than if you smoked durries. You will have a leak somewhere most likely the gearbox or exhaust you wont get much air flow up around the top there.
Get a another boot and seal and fix the leak. Could even be a top gearbox seal and the box is getting really hot and its burning off.
Time to do some investigating mate. You'll figure it.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Ive tried sniffing the smoke, doesnt have a destinct smell to it. But you can smell gearbox oil in the car. I'm currently driving around without the manual surround piece on and its just comming from around that gearbox plate. The rubber boot thing that goes at the bottom of the shifter is all broken and there it is a bit damp, but its been like that ever since i got it. And its dry underneath on that plate.

Last edited:

PirateJoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute, YZF-R6
Well mate, you just said theres a hole in it and a strong gearbox smell to the car wtf?

Typing on here aint gonna fix it go check it out.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
What do you mean "wtf" I'll rephrase that for you. You can smell gearbox oil. I still don't understand what im checking out. Yer there is a tear in the little rubber boot, but there are no leaks or anything. It has me and a few others scratching our heads. I don't want to pull the gearbox out just to "check it out" Ill rip the bottom boot out tommorow and have another look. But the boot has been torn under there ever since i got the car, i don't see how it will all of a sudden cause trouble

PirateJoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute, YZF-R6
I mean by that if you can smell it, its not because you have a super spidey sense of smell and can smell it from the inside of the box, it has to be leaking doesn't it?
Check it out mate, even get under there and check with a mirror and light over the top of the box if you still cant see anthing from the top of the tunnel inside the car.
Might only be noticing it now after its been leaking out slowly for a while and getting hot who knows.

ToMMMaY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina S Pac SII L67 Turbo Project
Is it still Smoking when the cars off key outta the car or even d/c the battrey itll take the opinion of a burning wire away
as u said its been like that since u got it but now its time to be replaced cars for ya

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
nahh only while the car is running, doesnt do it while on acc. Even if its been sitting for a couple of hours and i drive for 2 minutes it might do it. Other times ill drive for 45 minutes and it wont. Ill jack it up hopefully on saturday and take a proper look and also check to see how much fluid is in there

PirateJoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute, YZF-R6
It could be an exhaust leak then mate if its doing it while its cold, coming up through the boot.

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK -Project-, VX R8 Clubsport
hey mate i just had a thought, keep an eye on the transmission oil in the gearbox, the front seal of the box may be leaking into the clutch and the clutch is cooking the oil. just a thought but no one else has any better ideas