Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black Smoke from exhaust

Golden Vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais n/a
Good day!

I recently purchased a holden Vl rb30 n/a and had been turning it back to life ever since last couple of weeks.

So far the car has been running ok, all smooth like butter, not until I changed the plugs and lead, since i recently encountered a misfire from a bad leads.

After I changed the plugs and leads, black smoke started to come out of the exhaust and now it has been running like a cammed 308 .

No other work has been done mechanically other than the plugs and leads. It would be appreciated if anyone can assist on what checks do I need to do next if order to enjoy the Vl .

Cheers in advance!

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
Good day!

I recently purchased a holden Vl rb30 n/a and had been turning it back to life ever since last couple of weeks.

So far the car has been running ok, all smooth like butter, not until I changed the plugs and lead, since i recently encountered a misfire from a bad leads.

After I changed the plugs and leads, black smoke started to come out of the exhaust and now it has been running like a cammed 308 .

No other work has been done mechanically other than the plugs and leads. It would be appreciated if anyone can assist on what checks do I need to do next if order to enjoy the Vl .

Cheers in advance!
Might be a leaky injector/s dumping to much fuel in one of the cylinders or a stuck valve. remove and inspect the spark plugs and see if any are black and or are wet and stink of fuel. Or possibly a coil..
hopefully it's not a stuck valve.

Golden Vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais n/a
Also so add to the upon having the black smoke, the car started to stutter and wont accelerate. Soon after that is when it ran like a cammed 308.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Possible mass air flow sensor will do that too. I've had that before.

But before you go changing parts, you can check the computer for codes by looking at the blinking LEDs. You need to download a workshop manual to interpret the codes.

Golden Vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais n/a
Might be a leaky injector/s dumping to much fuel in one of the cylinders or a stuck valve. remove and inspect the spark plugs and see if any are black and or are wet and stink of fuel. Or possibly a coil..
hopefully it's not a stuck valve.
So if plugs are black, wet & stink of fuel most probably is the stuck valve or leaky injectors? Will check that out.

What part of the coil do I need to diagnose?

Cheers for the help mate!

Golden Vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais n/a
Possible mass air flow sensor will do that too. I've had that before.

But before you go changing parts, you can check the computer for codes by looking at the blinking LEDs. You need to download a workshop manual to interpret the codes.
Well upon trying to start after the car stutter, they was white smoke coming from the air box. I did inspect the filter to think that may be the airbox may be block or Insufficient air coming in.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Sounds to me like the leads are on in the incorrect order.
I know that's not possible on the DET motors (unless coils are plugged in wrong order) but unsure of ET motors off the top of my head.
But it explains the black smoke, rough running, and white smoke.

Last edited:

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
Lol. yep. confirm your firing order first before doing anything else.

Edit: One of the symptoms of a leaky injector is it will be a bitch to start when left for a few hours. Also check inside your dizzy cap for signs of corrosion or moisture.

Last edited:

Golden Vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais n/a
Sounds to me like the leads are on in the incorrect order.
I know that's not possible on the DET motors (unless could are plugged in wrong order) but unsure of ET motors off the top of my head.
But it explains the black smoke, rough running, and white smoke.
Im sure I opened them one by one according to previous leads. No worries will check it out soon! Cheers a million

Golden Vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais n/a
Lol. yep. confirm your firing order first before doing anything else.

Edit: One of the symptoms of a leaky injector is it will be a bitch to start when left for a few hours. Also check inside your dizzy cap for signs of corrosion or moisture.
Will check the dizzy out as well! Cheers for your input legends!