Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

??What Gauge Wire Will I Need??? nearly 5k RMS

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Hey again. just need to double check what size wire i will need to run my sound system in my Vx sedan...my system as folows..sorry if this is confusing...here goes

2x Fusion NV-AM25001 Monoblock amps run at .5ohm (well over 2k RMS each)218amps max current each amp..(up untill tomorow the amp has been run at 2ohm with my old subs but when i get the soundstreams in there it will be at .5ohm)

2x Soundstream trantular T4 15's (1000 RMS each)
1x fusion 4ch amp for splits all round (800 RMS total)

So all up thats nearly 5k RMS in the boot....

At the moment all i have power wire wise running ALL THAT is 1 pissy little 4gauge wire split 3 ways in the boot to the 3 amps... It sounds awsome as is but i know the wire is WAY to small for all that...would bigger wire make an audible diffrence???
So my question is what would be ideal gauge for all that? I was thinking 0 gauge wire to the boot split in to 2 2g for the monoblocks and just keep the 4g for the 4ch amp....??
Also i have a 120A fuse at the battrey wich will also be upgraided to the biggest i can buy but i would have thought being that its only 120A shouldent it blow with all that current draw?? Amps are only at 2ohm ATM but when i get the soundstreams in there tomorow it will be down to .5ohm each...then it might blow?
Again sorry if it is confusing but just wanted to get the right wire size for when i put my new soundstream subs in tomorow...Thanx again...

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Im no wiz but I can garuntee that thicker wire will def make an improvement and probly increase ur max decibel response :p

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
this might help :)

248779_198676040177562_100001055036640_559991_4083868_n.jpg

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
The OPs post fails on so many levels.

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
^^I did say it was confusing...dont pick!

thing is it sounds so damm good now with 4G wire, the window flexes so much its about to break..tomorow when the soundstreams go in and down to .5ohm im pretty sure it will crack, I just cant see it getting any louder than it is...im just a bit shocked that the 4G does that good its hard to think that the 0G could do any better. thats where the question started..just seeing what is by far recomended..
Thanks for your replys.
Thanx nick92, that helps heaps!
Think ill go with duel 0G from battrey..

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
I'm not going to read this, but if 5kwrms 0awg should suffice. Make sure you run it properly, distribute the power properly, upgrade your earths/alternator charge appropriately.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
For a start the amps are 1.7k W RMS at 1 ohm. Running them at lower impedance will cause problems. Your audio install fails on so many levels it's not funny just an observation. In saying that run 0 guage to a distro block then 4 gauge to the amps.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I cant wait for the

"Hey Guys My Amp Caught Fire"
Thread, driving them at too low an impedance.

Also if you were truly running 5k wRMS you would be running more thn 1 single 0 gauge run, You would have a battery bank, and a nice 180+ amp alternator...

Ah well, The kids got to dream...

Cheers
Mat