Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden warranty coverage + Recall question

fluked

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
Just over a month ago i took my car (2006 WM Statesman V6) to the holden dealer because i was getting a "Check Engine" light coming up. Fault code was apparently P0111 and they had to do a ECM & VIM Rework. also replacing sparkplugs which for some reason burnt out. Total cost of that job was $292.
1 week later, "Check Engine" Light comes back on, took me half a week to drop it off to them, and then took them the whole day to check for the issue which they said was my Timing Chains. Holden said it was going to be a fairly big job and that if i could prove service history thru holden, and provide purchase dates etc that they would cover it under their warranty (Cars done 68,000 and 2 months out of warranty).
So yeah after 2 weeks they finally got back to me Saying that they would only cover 75% of the bill under warranty, which led to another $298 Bill for fixing my Right timing chain (Stretched 3MM) And also charging me 54$ To replace 2 hoses (ASM-HTR IN/OUT).
After checking thru justcommodores site i've noticed quite a few people with timing chain problems in VE 2006 models, and also someone saying that the hose problem was something that was sopose to be recalled/fixed under warranty? I'm probably going to be calling consumer affairs and seeking their advice on it but would also like others imputs on it. Is this a 'Good deed' that holden have done for me? Or should these problems have been covered under warranty/Recall?
/endrant

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
technically, out of warranty is out of warranty. customer service is what gets you things completed for free- but its really dealer to dealer dependant (like any manufacturer).

just trying to do the sums here by reading your post.
1) you took the car in over a month ago. was it under warranty at this first visit for the check engine light?
2) one week later you went back in for same problem. did you raise this issue with them because you've already forked out $292 for repairs not needed?
3) 2 weeks after that, they replaced your timing chain and some hoses (costing you another $350). you said they "covered 75% of the bill". being that you paid $300 (25% of bill), a timing chain shouldnt cost $1200 to replace.

you've got a cause to complain, but only if you originally presented the vehicle within warranty. they've given you the impression they've done you a favour, but paying over $600 for the repair isnt exactly a bargain.
and btw, has the issue been fixed?
useful info for forum members who may experience the same issue and know how to get it fixed without forking out so much money.

fluked

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
repairs were only done today and so far so good..
as for bringing up the first issue with the "Repair" doing nothing yes i did, the service department manager said that it was caused from a different issue. I'm not too smart when it comes to cars/mechanical problems so i find it hard to even attempt to argue my point. if they fixed the problem straight up in the first place it would have been a straight up 292$ bill. And i wouldnt have lost an extra day of work, insted im stuck with a $650 bill and about $400+ lost from being a casual worker :(

Edit: just over a month ago my car was not under warranty. And timing chains dont cost 1200? could you give me an estimate price of what they do cost. thanks.
also i dont think changing 6 spark plugs cost 292$ either .. i think i'll get a second opinion from another local holden dealership.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
The car is out of warranty. It is common for Holden to do "good will" repairs if a car is just out of warranty. They wont pay for all of the repair. Usually they will cover either parts, or labour.

As for the hose, can you prove that it was leaking while the car was under warranty? If not, then you've got no chance of getting warranty on an item.

abeardy81

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Omega 2006
I have also had the engine warning light problem. In my case it was the timing chain that had stretch and they charged me $3000 at Holden to fix it as my vehicle was out of warranty. Its a VE 2006 omega with 122,000 km's. What I was PI$$ED about was the fact I found out after paying them that they KNOW about this issue. Even though I asked the service manager if he'd ever seen this before. Here is some info I found on the net from GM.

Please see this GM bulletin below:

H08-0601-01: Timing Chain Stretch and/or DTCs P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017,
P0018, P0019

Built Prior to Engine Number H071380576

A condition may occur with the HFV6 engine that will cause the MIL
to illuminate and may log DTCs P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017, P0018 and
P0019. Codes are set when the ECM detects that camshafts on either
bank of the engine are misaligned with the crankshaft. For a more
complete description of code setting parameters, refer to SI.
Important: This condition may affect the 7.7 mm pitch timing
chain, installed in engines after the following engine
number: H053340001.

The customer will only notice an engine warning light in
the instrument panel. This condition does not cause any obvious
driveability concerns or any abnormal engine noises.

There was an issue with the time chain manufacturing process
that caused, in a small number of engines, the chain links to
be outside design specifications. Over time, this may result in
chain elongation.

The degree of chain elongation will depend of the number of
affected links and the drive cycle of the engine during its life.
Typical expectation is that ECM detectable chain elongation
would occur in early engine life (i.e. 10,000 to 20,000 km).

If the vehicle meets the criteria explained, with any of
the previously mentioned DTCs logged in the ECM, the standard
service instructions for DTCs P0016, P0017, P0018, P0019 and P0008
and P0009 must be followed, prior to any diagnostic work being done
on the timing chains.
Refer to Engine Controls & Fuel – 3.6L,
DTC P0016, P0016, P0018, P0019 or document # 1985724 in SI or
Engine Control & Fuel – 3.6L, DTC P0008, P0009 or document #1985715
in SI.

ONLY the timing chains need to be replaced.
Idlers, guides and tensioners do not require replacement.
However, inspect the guides for any abnormal wear and replace
ONLY if necessary.

Once the original used chains have been removed, check the
free length against new, unused chains to confirm diagnosis. Ensure
that the chains are either laid flat on a bench and pulled
straight with no kinks or hung out straight vertically. Typical
chain elongation observed is a minimum of 3 mm on a doubled-up
chain, taking an approximate measurement.

abeardy81

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Omega 2006
Wow, what a late addition to my original post.

I should update you all on what happened. I paid the $3000, spoke to Holden Australia, fought tooth and nail, received a $3000 refund.... so it cost me nothing.
Provided you can show a full log book history for the car, they have to refund you, it should have been a re-call but they just ran with the "Lets hope and pray they last" theory.

You would be entitled to take legal action if your vehicle fell into the same category as the GM Bulletin above..... Just keep threatening them and they'll come through with your replacement chains / refund if you had to pay for it yourself. Don't take NO for an answer, it was GM/Holden's fault for putting the wrong chains in the engine in the first place.... why should you have to pay for their mistake.

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
Thanks for the update

I should update you all on what happened. I paid the $3000, spoke to Holden Australia, fought tooth and nail, received a $3000 refund.... so it cost me nothing.
Provided you can show a full log book history for the car, they have to refund you, it should have been a re-call but they just ran with the "Lets hope and pray they last" theory.

You would be entitled to take legal action if your vehicle fell into the same category as the GM Bulletin above..... Just keep threatening them and they'll come through with your replacement chains / refund if you had to pay for it yourself. Don't take NO for an answer, it was GM/Holden's fault for putting the wrong chains in the engine in the first place.... why should you have to pay for their mistake.

It's rubbish that you had to fight tooth and nail for that, if they decided to let them through without doing a recall they should have had in place a plan to right each one as they fell. I wonder how many people have been ripped off for the same job that didnt have the same fight in them or knowledge of this fault as you did?

Great job updating this thread. Thanks.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

What a load of crap. Only CERTAIN cars have faults. Not every single car during that period. You got lucky that your car was A) Close to Warranty and B) Had low KM's.

Telling people that they should fight for their chains to be fixed is misleading, sometimes you do need to take No for an answer.

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
What a load of crap. Only CERTAIN cars have faults. Not every single car during that period. You got lucky that your car was A) Close to Warranty and B) Had low KM's.

Telling people that they should fight for their chains to be fixed is misleading, sometimes you do need to take No for an answer.

You're telling him what a load of crap, HA. A load of crap is an engine that has been serviced to manufacturers’ specifications and requires a timing chain at 120k's or earlier. If the chains were designed to be replaced this early, the manufacturer would have included it in the servicing requirements. Also if there wasn’t a known issue, then it’s unlikely that Holden would have footed the bill for this, so by them accepting this out of warranty claim they are acknowledging that they had a problem with the chain in this engine.

Flashback

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE COMMODORE OMEGA DUAL FUEL V6
I strongly dissagree you should fight and keep fighting for replacement chains free of charge after all its our hard earned money and they knew there was a problem and they did nothing about it and the proof is in the above post found on the net