Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ethics

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
where only good as society lets us be

Thats a Fact!

Last edited:

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
It would have been “nice” if you had rang the other guy and informed him that you had a better offer. But if his offer was less I don’t think it is so much an ethical issue what you did. More one of courtesy.
When I looked at the CV8 I finally bought another guy had just left checking it out. Later that day the owner rang me and said that the other potential buyer was coming back during the week to get an RAA check and if I wanted it to get him a deposit. First in first serve. I kinda got the impression he wanted to sell it to me instead of the other guy. I went back with my bro and he checked it out for what it was worth and I took it. I think that actually was a bit of a c@#* act on the other guy but too bad. I’m happy!

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
who cares, if the 1st guy didnt put a deposit down then bad luck i say. ive had enough enough time wasters in my lifetime that say they'll come back the day after and dont.
all i would do is inform the first guy that a better offer has come along

vsowner94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive s2
In reply to what jester said i did inform him on the phone it had no fuel if he wanted to wait till tomorrow (today) i would put fuel
in it for that and he understood that and still wanted to come last night.

So i take it, that i should just sell it to whoever gets here first OR explain to the first guys i have had a better offer and ask if
they would like to match it??

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hi all
Is it unethical if i were to sell a car to someone who offered me a bit more money
over someone who genuinely came and looked at it and was very interested and is
comming back tomorrow for a test drive once fuel is in it???

Also feel free to bring up your own ethics questions or stories, would love to hear
them all :)

It depends. If you have taken a deposit for the car then you are obligated to sell the car to the deposit payer. If there is no deposit and you hadn't agreed to hold it for the other buyer then first person to come up with the money gets the car IMO.

If you had taken a deposit for the car then technically the deposit payer can go you for either the car, return of the deposit plus any costs they may have incurred along the way although usually a return of the deposit and an argument is all that happens.

Reaper

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
You know what, I'm going to go out on a limb and say to sell it to the second guy. You don't know the first guy from a bar of soap so why should you lose money because you think it's the right thing to do. Who cares if you hurt his feelings, do you know him personally? No. Get as much money as you can. After the day I've had today I'm going to jump on board the 'fk it' boat.

SP00KSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE, HT MONARO REBUILD
if you havent said you will hold it sell it for $1700, or tell the first guy its for $1700 and see if he will go to $1750 then tell the second guy someone else wants it for $1750 then he will go 1800 and you get an extra 100 out of him. lol dont do that it wont work.
My mate was going to buy a XR6 for $4 grand and the bloke said he would hold it for 2 days till it was ready to go, then when he called the bloke saying he would be round to pick it up in the arvo and give him the cash the guy said that he already sold it a few hours before.. now that aint right

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
Err no, that is not a fact. That is shocking grammar!
Indeed, and that’s saying something in a place where grammar has long been condemned to her nursing home….

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Generally when I sell something if someone makes me an offer but decides to pick it up later I usually tell "them no worries but if I get offered something better in the mean time then I'll let them have it". The way I look at it is if you put an offer to someone then you need to be prepared to finish the deal there and then otherwise don't be upset if someone comes along and grabs it from under you.