Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Finding a car from the past.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
My pop had a V8 VG valiant regal safari wagon he purchased from new, when he passed away it was sold. I know who owns it but he won’t part with it……….one of these days I hope to be able to offer enough $’s.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I had our beautiful old family XD wagon show up at work. The one my dad famously traded for a piece of **** Magna.

The owner wasn’t a friendly person though. That was about 20 years ago now. I’d love to have the opportunity to rebuild it and take my fam in it.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I had our beautiful old family XD wagon show up at work. The one my dad famously traded for a piece of **** Magna.

The owner wasn’t a friendly person though. That was about 20 years ago now. I’d love to have the opportunity to rebuild it and take my fam in it.
I had an XD. Called it ‘The Beast’.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
having had nearly 40 vehicles since getting a licence half a century ago, never really thought too much on this
but have now and then wondered about 4 of them

my first .. a HD manual X2 sedan (green with a white top was the rage back then)
a great 1st car, cost me $600 and ownership cost lots of gearboxes. crash boxes did not like me :eek:
and
following, a hand built 4 door LJ Torrie . I got it for $50 as it had a dash/engine bay fire but hey I was working for GMH, parts and panels
will be cheap and I have a staff account, just ring GMP&A and order .. stuff to rebuild it. And rebuild/re-fettle/repaint I did

Ended up with an ex-HDT (Colin Bonds) 202 race bottom end, angle cut head and 3 Webers...over 300fwhp, a 12 sec Torrie :)
a sleeper this until my then GF had an argument with a towed horsetrailer while driving it. :(
ljtorana-before-after1-1_1.jpg

and there was this .. rather sad on this one. It went VERY well (what HT GTS 350 manual doesn't) even better with extractors and the middle mufflers removed.
SAturday nights started with a visit to the local airport... AVGAS 105 was rather cheap in the 70s and that 350 engine luvv'd it. Smelt good on the overrun.
Sold it to buy an XU1 for $4 large, what I paid for it. Worth a LOT more these days

MonaroHTGTS350.jpg

and there was this... a rarity, how many you say?
some say 50 made .. maybe! if we are talking VB SLE '308' option pack with 5litre/M21 4 speed and A9X 2.60 diff ratio
did 120kmh in 1st gear and lost drag races at the lights to Toyota Corollas coz of that diff ratio

VBsl_eV8.JPG

have NO idea where any are!

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
can promise my parts hoarding has been limited to 90s commodores and not 80s fords.
That’s because your doppelgänger has all the Ford parts?