Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trick question thread

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
skilled!

ok... I got one. This one stumped me for about 3 years.

3 scientists check into a hotel. They want a room but only have $10 each, Luckily the manager says if each of them throw in thier $10, they can have a room. The 3 amigo's agree, pay the $30 and head up to the room. The next day The manager realises that he's over charged them the room, and it should have come to a total of $25, So he's gotta give the 3 guys $5 back, but $5 can't be devided 3 ways, so he pockets $2, heads up to the room and hands each bro $1.

So, each customer ended up paying $9 for the room, that's $27, plus what the manager stole = $29... So where's the missing dollar?

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Booooya!!!

"Nothing" is way better than a "hole" as a hole, even though usually representing nothing, is in fact not nothing, but only an absence of a particular substance. A hole in the earth does not contain nothing. Only nothing is nothing. My answer can be the only correct one.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
there is no missing dollar, he has still over charged them $2 in total. its hard to explain but I get it.

$30 - $3 = $27

$27 - the $2 the manager kept makes $25.

Im finding it hard to explain, but its the maths thats in the question that is flawed.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
skilled!

3 scientists check into a hotel. They want a room but only have $10 each, Luckily the manager says if each of them throw in thier $10, they can have a room. The 3 amigo's agree, pay the $30 and head up to the room. The next day The manager realises that he's over charged them the room, and it should have come to a total of $25, So he's gotta give the 3 guys $5 back, but $5 can't be devided 3 ways, so he pockets $2, heads up to the room and hands each bro $1.

So, each customer ended up paying $9 for the room, that's $27, plus what the manager stole = $29... So where's the missing dollar?

It's the way it's calculated in reverse, everyone has their cash, he still has his $2 no missing dollar

"Nothing" is way better than a "hole" as a hole, even though usually representing nothing, is in fact not nothing, but only an absence of a particular substance. A hole in the earth does not contain nothing. Only nothing is nothing. My answer can be the only correct one.

As u put it, an existing hole contains nothing, so u put a hole in a barrel, which the hole weighs nothing because it contains nothing. And it makes the barrel lighter.. It's not rocket science. Ur answer is incorrect.

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
skilled!

There is no missing dollar. The scientists have paid $27 and have kept $3 for themselves and that adds up to $30. You cannot tally the managers total twice, it's already included in the $27 the scientists have paid.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
skilled!

It's the way it's calculated in reverse, everyone has their cash, he still has his $2 no missing dollar

As u put it, an existing hole contains nothing, so u put a hole in a barrel, which the hole weighs nothing because it contains nothing. And it makes the barrel lighter.. It's not rocket science, it's a hole!

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
You have to measure exactly 4 liters of water, but you only have a 3-liter bottle and a 5-liter bottle. How do you do it?