Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I think ive made a mistake, inlet manifold change and transmission change.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
thanks for inquiring for me mate! she certainly is a bloody strange problem. im still waiting for the call back from the mechanic im like a little kid sitting next to the phone waiting for it to ring

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah, I called in there to book my car in for a wheel alignment and I thought Id pick his brain and see what he thought about it all, as he's one of the few mechanics about who actually knows what hes talking about and doesnt just want to take your money..
Ive ran into a few problems over the years that have been similar to yours in way that they just didnt make much sense for what was happening, and one good thing I guess that comes out of problems like these is that you'll be able to pick it straight away if you ever come across the same problem again later on.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
sounds like your onto a good dude, ive never been to this mechanic before i was actually hoping to get to a place called christies beach auto wreckers and servicing but the tow truck driver said G&B autos would be cheaper so i thought yeh go there bugga it, the bloke there mick seems like a nice bloke and genuine. I half know what im on about anyway so if a mechanic tries to spin **** to me ill be able to check there work and roughly work out the labour from the time it takes me to do the job, (if a mechanic cant install something quicker then what i can theres something going on.) but nah i have good faith in these lads...

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
UPDATE FROM MECHANICS

i couldnt wait haha i rang up for a progress report
they found a split in the wiring loom for cylinder 5 injector it wasnt pulsing nor firing they swapped out the wiring but was still not quite running right hes ducked out for a few more parts and apparently its nearly done.

im awaiting there call still so ill have a chat to mick the mechanic and go from there. they also believe the injector could be possibly blocked now.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Any mention about the compression reading and the liquid that was leaking into/from that cylinder?

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
nah he didnt say anything about that... ill ask mick for sure though the person who worked on it.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
another update..

the mechanic has been right over and reckons he has pretty much fixed the idling issue... but he says it still has a bit of a bump to it..
he said a balance shaft must be on its way out internally, what is this??

hes only charged me $80 so its cheap.. but i still wanna perfect this idle.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Well thats good news mate, and the price he charged wasnt too bad either.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well thats good news mate, and the price he charged wasnt too bad either.

just went up there and seen the car quickly i wanted to see how it was idling.. and jeez its idling heaps better!!! i know what the bloke means by it still has a bump to it but its only just noticeable.

theres no more smoke out the exhaust and the compression readings are excellent he reckons, he said it was the injector causing the smoke.

the car doesnt chug and shake and carry on like it did when put in drive/reverse etc so most of the problem has gone away

i decided to leave it with him for another day although he was starting to get stumped himself he asked me before i left if i cleaned the PCV valve in the manifold and i said "yes" he then went onto explain that he has gone to clean heaps of PCV valves before and most of the time it clogs them up causing the funny idle and it is sometimes better to just not touch them he is going to inspect it tommorrow for me, i just thought yeah why not it cant hurt and his rates are excellent compared to any other mechanic ive been too so he can go ahead..

BTW i recommend G & B Automotive services in lonsdale to anyone thats in adelaide that is stuck with a problem etc the bloke mick who works there is a champ and i really cant complain with there rates. every other time i go to a mechanic i always get stung a minimum of $350 these dudes are kings.