Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I think ive made a mistake, inlet manifold change and transmission change.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Do what immortality said. Check the valves and all.
Also did you check the compression with the fuel pump fuse out?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
245psi is way to high, effectively having that much compression will prevent the plug from firing, hence the reason for the raw fuel. The reason it doesn't run any better is because the cylinder simply isn't firing. Unfortunately your doing more damage the longer you run it, if this is in fact the problem, that bore will be suffering from bore wash (from the raw fuel in the bore) which will create extra wear on the piston rings/bore if your not careful. Close the plug gap right up and and see what it does.

The fuel isn't causing the extra cylinder pressures, the only way that can happen (assuming no physical changes i.e. increased height piston crowns or shaved heads....which won't be the case here as no engine mods have been undertaken) is to have the valve timing events change, i.e. the inlet valve is closing a lot earlier then it is suppose to trapping more air in the cylinder creating more cylinder pressure when the engine is cranked.

If you haven't yet done the intake gaskets (again) then, when you do, pull out the lifters for the No.5 cylinder and inspect, but before you remove the lifter(s) (you will have to to get the push rods out), check to see if there is any play in the push rod or is it firmly captured between the lifter/rockers. Turn the engine over by hand and see that the lifters all come up the same amount out of the lifter bores, then also see if you can measure how much the valves are been pushed down at max lift, compare No.5 cylinder to another etc. It's much easier to turn the engine over if all the spark plugs are out.

You can also run the engine with the rocker covers off, just don't rev it as it will make a (bigger) mess (oil will splash from the rockers).

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Was the throttle held open full when doing the compression tests, the readings will be wrong if it wasnt. Carbon build up, or raw fuel in the cylinder probably caused the higher than normal reading for that cylinder. Its not gonna be mechanical or it would be making a hell of a noise when its running.. What was the plug like that came from that cylinder? Having a reading of 245 PSI shouldnt stop the cylinder from firing. Ive seen a few engines that ran standard points type igntion systems and had compression readings over 200 PSI or more, high crown pistons or shaved heads etc etc will bump up the CR of a standard engine quite a bit... It certainly is a strange problem.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Was the throttle held open full when doing the compression tests, the readings will be wrong if it wasnt. Carbon build up, or raw fuel in the cylinder probably caused the higher than normal reading for that cylinder. Its not gonna be mechanical or it would be making a hell of a noise when its running.. What was the plug like that came from that cylinder? Having a reading of 245 PSI shouldnt stop the cylinder from firing. Ive seen a few engines that ran standard points type igntion systems and had compression readings over 200 PSI or more, high crown pistons or shaved heads etc etc will bumpo up the CR of a standard engine quite a bit...

Maybe, some contamination in the cylinders could explain a slightly higher reading, but 33% higher? also, all the other cylinders came in within spec, if not a little high (190psi). To test, he could change the injectors over and see if the problem moves with the injector.

There is a big difference between 200psi and 245psi, also, did the points system run a 1.5mm spark plug gap? Bigger spark plug gaps are much harder to ignite with extremely high cylinder pressures, hence the reason blown cars (turbo ecotec etc) run smaller gaps such as 1.0mm and they probably aren't seeing the same dynamic cylinder pressures (at idle/low RPM) that this engine would be seeing if he is getting 245psi with just cranking the engine. 200psi+ is what would be expected to see on a decent performance street engine with the cam/static CR been well matched.

Raw fuel in the cylinder would indicate that the cylinder isn't firing or firing but burning very poorly as would happen if fuel was running into the cylinder rather than been atomised and suspended in the air. Reducing the spark plug gap to say 0.5mm would test high CR theory but would possibly fail if it's a stuck injector that's poring in the fuel.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Carbon buildup can increase the CR by quite a bit, Ive seen piston crowns and heads carboned up that much that the engine would ping as soon as it had any sort of load put on it. Leaking valve seals was the cause in this case, the oil caused the crowns and heads to get carbon build up on them both about 1 cm thick . This engine didnt blow any visible smoke when running, and it didnt use any unusually large amounts of oil etc, so it was quite a mystery.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
245psi is way to high, effectively having that much compression will prevent the plug from firing, hence the reason for the raw fuel. The reason it doesn't run any better is because the cylinder simply isn't firing. Unfortunately your doing more damage the longer you run it, if this is in fact the problem, that bore will be suffering from bore wash (from the raw fuel in the bore) which will create extra wear on the piston rings/bore if your not careful. Close the plug gap right up and and see what it does.

The fuel isn't causing the extra cylinder pressures, the only way that can happen (assuming no physical changes i.e. increased height piston crowns or shaved heads....which won't be the case here as no engine mods have been undertaken) is to have the valve timing events change, i.e. the inlet valve is closing a lot earlier then it is suppose to trapping more air in the cylinder creating more cylinder pressure when the engine is cranked.

If you haven't yet done the intake gaskets (again) then, when you do, pull out the lifters for the No.5 cylinder and inspect, but before you remove the lifter(s) (you will have to to get the push rods out), check to see if there is any play in the push rod or is it firmly captured between the lifter/rockers. Turn the engine over by hand and see that the lifters all come up the same amount out of the lifter bores, then also see if you can measure how much the valves are been pushed down at max lift, compare No.5 cylinder to another etc. It's much easier to turn the engine over if all the spark plugs are out.

You can also run the engine with the rocker covers off, just don't rev it as it will make a (bigger) mess (oil will splash from the rockers).

ohh dang.... do i really have to do the inlets again if it is what you say?? ive done them twice now i dont think i can do it again lol

how do i close the spark plug gap?? you cant exactly hammer it down can or youd break it, sorry just never done it before.

so basicly take the passenger side rocker cover off and start the car and let it run? or take all plugs out and just let it crank? i will video the whole movement of the mechanical parts and post it to see if you can see anything out the ordinary but hopefully i might spot something when i take it off. as brett stated before if it was mechanical it will be noisy?? wouldnt i hear it if the pushrods, rockers arms etc were shagged??

thanks for your info its gold to me, keep it coming :):)

Was the throttle held open full when doing the compression tests, the readings will be wrong if it wasnt. Carbon build up, or raw fuel in the cylinder probably caused the higher than normal reading for that cylinder. Its not gonna be mechanical or it would be making a hell of a noise when its running.. What was the plug like that came from that cylinder? Having a reading of 245 PSI shouldnt stop the cylinder from firing. Ive seen a few engines that ran standard points type igntion systems and had compression readings over 200 PSI or more, high crown pistons or shaved heads etc etc will bump up the CR of a standard engine quite a bit... It certainly is a strange problem.

the throttle was not help open at all mate, i didnt know i had to have it open ( does this mean all my readings are wrong? would it be worth to go out there and re do the compression test?

the plugs foul very quickly on the passenger side.. like they start to go black within 20mins of idling..

thanks for all the info mate, if it wasnt for yous i wouldnt have any guidance ill keep trying the things you suggest though like before about taking the rockers off etc and see if we can maybe figure this things out, i will also check for error codes again soon. ill await your reply though about the rocker thing i dont wanna bugga it up haha

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
To test, he could change the injectors over and see if the problem moves with the injector.

it has brand new injectors in it mate, there like a week old and have like 30 mins running time on them.

Carbon buildup can increase the CR by quite a bit, Ive seen piston crowns and heads carboned up that much that the engine would ping as soon as it had any sort of load put on it. Leaking valve seals was the cause in this case, the oil caused the crowns and heads to get carbon build up on them both about 1 cm thick . This engine didnt blow any visible smoke when running, and it didnt use any unusually large amounts of oil etc, so it was quite a mystery.

that is quite the mystery!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id redo the compression test again, warm the engine up a bit first, remove the plugs and hold the throttle open full whilst doing the compression tests.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
Id redo the compression test again, warm the engine up a bit first, remove the plugs and hold the throttle open full whilst doing the compression tests.

to easy mate i reckon im gonna have some lunch and a well earned beer, spend some time on JC for a little bit and ill get back at her..

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yep, Id do it in the cool of the afternoon, I was just outside and was going to do a few things to my bike, its bloody hot out there, so the bike can wait, Im back in front of the A/C now.