Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel smell and rough idle

MRNICK

LS1 LOVE
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenowners.com
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
The Smell at the rear of the car could be the fuel cap, the old mans VYSS had a faulty cap brand new !

I've started to smell hints of fuel after a drive, whilst I was getting out of the car. Turns out it was the fuel cap, I noticed that the seal on the inside was a tad ratty looking!

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
So a quick update for anyone that's interested. Checked the air filter pod and it was very clean so a clogged air filter isn't the issue. Checked the oil levels and the oil level is at exactly where it should be and the oil looks very clean. Looked at the coolant to see if there was any oil in it and there was none what so ever.
Now i'm thinking that maybe the white smoke may actually be condensation and the fuel smell is not connected with the white looking smoke/condensation. I'm not a mechanic so to me that leaves me with possible issues with o2 sensors, temp sensors, dirty throttle body. Am i about right with this???
Thanks all

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Have the catalytic converters been removed or gutted? You shouldnt be smelling raw fuel from the exhaust with cats.

capitalgainz

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 berlina gen3
blocked carbon canister? do you fill up until it clicks and keep going?
had some retard work on your car lately? some times retards use screw drivers to undo fuel line clamps to the fuel filter and rip the line out the tank, get it looked at, what your describing is what happened to mum when she went to the mechanic in mt compass.
have you checked for error codes?

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Went to see a performance outfit today with all the dyno and diagnostic gear. They say the car is actually running lean. Said you wont smell anything if it is running rich but will see blackish smoke. So i've booked it in for a dyno run on thursday where they'll monitor emissions throughout the rev range and monitor o2 sensors and the like. Seems to be the most sensible way to get to the bottom of the issue.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Running lean? Bit odd.

I was gonna say fuel pressure regulator, I had similar symptoms on my old vs v6. I'm no pro when it comes to cars though, I just tinker and service.

My car recently developed a smell of fuel from the exhaust as well, but I figured it was due to the extremely cold weather and the engine being more cooler than usual for longer. I've always heard if the engine runs cold it burns more fuel, hence the smell. But I don't believe my cats have been hollowed out, so I shouldn't be able to smell raw fuel according to someone's previous post. But if that's not the case, could that be OPs issue?

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Running lean? Bit odd.

I was gonna say fuel pressure regulator, I had similar symptoms on my old vs v6. I'm no pro when it comes to cars though, I just tinker and service.

My car recently developed a smell of fuel from the exhaust as well, but I figured it was due to the extremely cold weather and the engine being more cooler than usual for longer. I've always heard if the engine runs cold it burns more fuel, hence the smell. But I don't believe my cats have been hollowed out, so I shouldn't be able to smell raw fuel according to someone's previous post. But if that's not the case, could that be OPs issue?

Yeah i'm a bit stumped as well. Hopefully the guys will know whats going on, if anything, after the dyno run/emissions monitoring next thursday week. What were the symptoms with your VS Zerseys?