Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel smell and rough idle

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
Are the lines to fuel filter on nice and tight? No leaks there while the engine is running.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Yeah i'm a bit stumped as well. Hopefully the guys will know whats going on, if anything, after the dyno run/emissions monitoring next thursday week. What were the symptoms with your VS Zerseys?

Roughish idle, fuel smell from exhaust. There was also a tiny bit of fuel in the vacuum line going into the fuel pressure regulator. The inside of the plenum chamber on the end that the vacuum line is on was extremely clean while the other end was quite dirty. I think it had been sucking fuel in for quite some time and cleaning all the carbon build up.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Roughish idle, fuel smell from exhaust. There was also a tiny bit of fuel in the vacuum line going into the fuel pressure regulator. The inside of the plenum chamber on the end that the vacuum line is on was extremely clean while the other end was quite dirty. I think it had been sucking fuel in for quite some time and cleaning all the carbon build up.

Thats interesting, same symptoms that i am having....fuel smell idles a little lumpy. Going to have a look at the regulator tomorrow, what should i look for?

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea but mate could be 20 different things with such basic symptoms lol.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Regulator is in tank for the ls1. I'm having a similar issue but mine is mafless tuned.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure where it is on the v8. But on the v6 you just gotta take the engine cover off and take the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator, have a look/feel on the end of the hose and the plug on the regulator and if its even a little wet then it needs replacing.

I think I read it's best done while the car is running. But I checked after a drive because I wasn't sure. Best to clarify that with someone more knowledgable!

EDIT: ^ well there you go! Doesn't sound like that's what's causing your issue then.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
A little update. Had the car put on a dyno today with an eye towards monitoring emissions and o2 sensor readings. Turns out that the o2 sensors are running perfectly and so is everything else. When cold it runs a little lean and when warm runs a little rich but nothing to worry about. Also found out that the car is running a 3 inch system right through and some sort of extractors, likely a Rage system according to the mechanic and it's making an impressive 373.2 HP.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Small update on chasing the lumpy idle. So have thoroughly cleaned the throttle body, MAF and IAC. O2's have been replaced. Next cheapish option to replace are the vac. In the picture i've uploaded, are those two hoses the vacuum lines i need to replace?

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 538

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
If there was a vac leak from those hoses, the o2 sensors would be showing it. And is your car cammed? The power figure is exceptionally high for no cam