Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel? - Does it make that much of a difference?

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
You will find 95 will often be 91 with 10% ethanol as well.

Only if you go to those dodgy places, she'll, bp and caltex defiantly don't do this.

United 100 is just 98 with 10% ethanol.

You would be surprised by what fuels are shared by the fuel companies. Ie, shell gets there 98 from caltex and and diesel from bp etc (these are just examples and varies by location as to what is shared)

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
How is 10% ethanol dodgy if it raises RON, reduces knock runs cooler and cleans your engine?
BTW BP and Caltex offer 10% blends?!
Nevermind the proven performance and economic benefit, I reckon cheap Asian bulk imported fuel passed off as Aussie product is dodgy, I'd rather pay (far less ie tax free) for fuel security and sustainable local processing.

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
How is 10% ethanol dodgy if it raises RON, reduces knock runs cooler and cleans your engine?
BTW BP and Caltex offer 10% blends?!
Nevermind the proven performance and economic benefit, I reckon cheap Asian bulk imported fuel passed off as Aussie product is dodgy, I'd rather pay (far less ie tax free) for fuel security and sustainable local processing.

Ethanol destroys your fuel system, cause bacteria to form in your tank and in general bad. It doesn't clean it, it eats away at it.

Yes bp and caltex offer 10% blends called E10 but not in there premium fuels to raise octane.

There's no economic benifet from it, fuel economy is much worse on e10. The performance benifet is only when the car tuned for it otherwise will be worse.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Another for BP98 and my girl is fussy. Only high octane fuel aside United 100 that hasn't caused her to ping.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
If my car had 11.7 CR I'd only run 98 or 100. But if my car was high comp with direct injection and VVT like yours I would mod injectors and tune for ethanol! :yarr:

Seeing as we're talking about fuel again and you seem to know a bit about e85 pirate, I've got a question for ya :D

Hopefully sometime this year I'll be doing a cam and valvetrain upgrade and was considering an e85 conversion. I'm not set on any specs yet but something with some decent lift and duration because it's just a weekend car and I don't care about practicality.

Some people say you need to change your pump, lines injectors and all that. I'll probably get a 044 and bigger injectors because you need more supply with e85 right? And obviously tune to suite it! Some people say e85 is a waste of time without boost. What do you think? And do you know what has to be changed so nothing gets destroyed.

Just a pipe dream at the moment but would love any info!

Cheers!

Edit:it's a vz l76 by the way.

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Ethanol destroys your fuel system, cause bacteria to form in your tank and in general bad. It doesn't clean it, it eats away at it.

Yes bp and caltex offer 10% blends called E10 but not in there premium fuels to raise octane.

There's no economic benifet from it, fuel economy is much worse on e10. The performance benifet is only when the car tuned for it otherwise will be worse.

smh

mind-blown.gif

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Seeing as we're talking about fuel again and you seem to know a bit about e85 pirate, I've got a question for ya :D

Hopefully sometime this year I'll be doing a cam and valvetrain upgrade and was considering an e85 conversion. I'm not set on any specs yet but something with some decent lift and duration because it's just a weekend car and I don't care about practicality.

Some people say you need to change your pump, lines injectors and all that. I'll probably get a 044 and bigger injectors because you need more supply with e85 right? And obviously tune to suite it! Some people say e85 is a waste of time without boost. What do you think? And do you know what has to be changed so nothing gets destroyed.

Just a pipe dream at the moment but would love any info!

Cheers!

Edit:it's a vz l76 by the way.

Deck the heads while they are off, make sure the PTV clearance on your new cam is fine and enjoy a tidy power boost on the corn syrup.