Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel? - Does it make that much of a difference?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
With e85, closed loop standard tune is almost exactly the same fuel consumption on a flat road (ie 14.7:1).
Put your foot down when tuned properly and it will quickly outstrip gasoline during power enrichment at around 11:1, and with 85% nears 9.7:1. That translates to around 2.5litres/min at WOT.
In other words with ethanol tune and carefully calibrated accelerator pedal position you have the option of more economy ($/k) than 98 or punch it and get more performance.
Or leave the factory tune and put up with worse economy and marginal performance gain on e85.

Last edited:

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
Pretty sure the manual for my cars says it'll run better on 98? Its e10 compatible but says to expect a drop in performance and economy. Must make the ss tuned for 98 then?

Think mine says 91 or better,but I have an aftermarket tune for 98...although more pricey I still think its the way to go,my magna used to hum on even 98 vortex lol

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
i get better fuel economy from NON ethanol fuel, so as a consequence never use ethanol blended fuels.

I've done a test on my car driving around town (ignoring the 'computer' fuel consumption figure).

1) completely fill the tank with regular unleaded (keep clicking until you actually see/hear the fuel at the top.... really full).
2) record your exact odometer reading, then drive it until almost empty like normal. it doesnt matter where you drive, as long as its normal commuting that would happen on a weekly basis.
3) when you're back at the pump, you fill it with ethanol blend (again, fill the tank right up to the top), and keep receipt to take note exactly how much fuel youve pumped to fill it up again to where it was.
4) also record your exact odometer reading at this point.

At this stage, you've got 3 important things.... a) exact km done, b) exact fuel used over those km, and c) normal daily driving (using the car like you normally would). Using these figures, you can work out exactly how fuel efficient the regular unleaded was.

And now that you've filled the car with ethanol, you only have to take note one more time upon refill, and then you'll have a km and fuel amount for ethanol as well.
Do the same with your chosen 98 fuel, and you'll know for sure like I do.

And the results?
Ethanol blended is the most expensive fuel to use when you consider its price per km..
98 Unleaded is next most expensive, and will provide the best performance out of all 3 (obviously), but isnt the most economical because of the extra you have to pay for it.
And the winner cost per km wise? Plain old regular unleaded... by a long shot!

If you want performance at any price, 98 Unleaded is the best. You'll also fill up less often. My track car runs on a strict diet of BP Ultimate. Used to be Shell until a few crappy tanks of fuel turned me off completely.

If you want best bang for your hard earned buck, Regular Unleaded is the best.

If the environment and sustainability is your aim, ethanol is king.

But Ethanol is the worst if you are trying to save $. You get the least amount of performance, you have to fill up more often, and considering they only give you 4c a litre off the normal stuff, its not worth the money.... not even close.

Fact) Ethanol has a lower energy value than normal fuel. That's why a discount needs to be offered by the fuel chains to make people buy it. It's less efficient.

But 4c off a litre when fuel is around $1.50 a litre equates to a 2.6% "discount".
Even when fuel was $1.20 a litre, that's only 3.3% off. Not enough.

But when I did my test above driving the car the same way I normally do, the difference in fuel economy between ethanol blend and regular unleaded was just under 6%.
In otherwords, if ethanol is to be truely believed as the most economical fuel to buy.... it needs to carry a discount of at least 9c a litre over regular.

But dont take my crappy little science test as fact... check out this story from 5 years ago.
False economy: E10 fuel isn't cheaper or greener - National - BrisbaneTimes

They compared the 3 different fuels over a much longer time frame and came up with same result.... E10 aint worth it when they sell it for the price they are selling it when compared with Regular Unleaded.

I got no problems with Ethanol blended fuels in normal daily driven cars. But not at the current pricing structure.... you're just making the fuel companies richer for nothing.
When performance is number 1 goal, 98 juice is still what I go for.... and will occasionally pop it into the daily driver as a 'treat' :).
But regular is the way to go folks. Any other option just makes the fuel companies bottom line healthier.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
^^ good work, I've no doubt that's the case for your car and driving environment.
It's not the case with the gen IV 6.0 auto driving 80-140kph. Plenty of threads, tests, facts and video demonstrations posted here since the release of Series II AFM.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Way back in the day, I did comparisons using my VN. This is back 15 or so years ago, so exact figures are gone. But the old girl had been pretty much standard ULP for the first 200k km (or so) as that was all there was. The first tank of V Power (just because it was the convenient servo) gave an improved economy reading, the 2nd tank improved even more, and the 3rd even more still. After that it leveled off and gave consistent readings. The better mileage more than payed for the higher price over 91 ron fuel. But most of that I put down to the cleaning aspect, not just the higher ron. I'd chosen to always run 98 by then, so I never did get around to running 91 again to check what mileage I was getting from that. I would think that the 91 would have given better economy than it used to, but as it wasn't measured I don't know if it would have made the price difference worth it still. And that's on a car most people were saying was pointless using the expensive fuel as I'd see no benefit. So I recommend to my mates to run a tank of 98 in it every now and again just to clean it, no matter what car they drive. Most of my mates just have "transport" and don't care about a few kw so they aren't after any power benefit, but like saving fuel. And lets face it, a few extra kw aren't going to be noticed just driving around. I'd say I notice more difference in feel between a hot muggy day and a nice cool brisk night.