Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 complete engine fail at 110000k. and the car isnt even 3 yrs old...

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Agree with the above only 5 litres came out of it. It would have been very low on the dipstick with only that much in it.
Why did you not keep it topped up to where it should be may I ask? Do you check fluids under the bonnet weekly, or at least when fueling up?

Or, like most owners, "don't you check that at the service?"

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Engines generally take alot of punishment before failing. The alloytec in my VZ wasn't serviced for over 20k before its last service before it was written off, I think the key is using a good oil with detergent properties or zero shear to avoid any sludge buildup. Holden use the cheapest oil they can get their hands on then use 15K service intervals, and the idiots that do the servicing don't even fill the oil correctly most of the time. If you want to use a 15k service interval you need to spend a little extra on some decent oil.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Engines generally take alot of punishment before failing. The alloytec in my VZ wasn't serviced for over 20k before its last service before it was written off, I think the key is using a good oil with detergent properties or zero shear to avoid any sludge buildup. Holden use the cheapest oil they can get their hands on then use 15K service intervals, and the idiots that do the servicing don't even fill the oil correctly most of the time. If you want to use a 15k service interval you need to spend a little extra on some decent oil.

So to sum up if you take it to Holden they're likely to wreck your engine but you have a warranty if you don't your engine will be fine but you don't have a warranty!

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
The engine didnt fail for nothing... it lost pretty much all its oil and then seized.

You've already said there were no obvious leaks, so I can only assume that you've lost oil by other means over an extended period of time.
Which begs the question, when did you last check oil levels (if at all prior to last service) ?

You're already 2,000km over, which gives me an indication that you probably arent vigilant with routine preventative maintenance... which would have probably saved your engine (and your wallet).

I'm not giving you a hard time, but I am thinking like a dealer will think... that is, to tell you to go get stuffed if you think they are going to give you a new engine.

Sorry mate, I dont think you'll have a leg to stand on :(.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
So to sum up if you take it to Holden they're likely to wreck your engine but you have a warranty if you don't your engine will be fine but you don't have a warranty!

If im not mistaken the OP's car was out of manufactures warranty when the motor let go. My point was if you are going to use the 15k service interval and even let it go for a further 2k use decent oil, you can buy your own oil and tell Holden to use it when they do the service.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
I could never understand why people go so long between oil changes, to me its cheap insurance.

I am very careful when it comes to Auto transmission servicing but not as much when it comes to engine oil. Decent modern synthetic engine oils can handle 15k service intervals no problems. Its some of the cheaper stuff that Holden use that is not made for such long service intervals that causes the issues. If you use cheaper oil stick with 7500k intervals. I used Castrol Edge 10w-40 in my SV6 with 15k intervals with zero issues, and the car was driven relatively hard.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I do 5,000km oil changes, but thats because my motor alone is worth about as much as the OP's car.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
I do 5,000km oil changes, but thats because my motor alone is worth about as much as the OP's car.

Have also seen OEMs make the argument if you are changing your own oil you could have done something wrong ie not put the right amount of oil in it and damaged an engine. So this could also be an argument for voiding a warranty. Let's face it they will use any argument they can.