Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Brembo Upgrade

SCM071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Has anyone here done the rear Brembo brake upgrade?

Ive seen a few over the past cou0le of months on ebay, but am curious to find out if its a straight bolt on change out (apart from bleeding the system) and if any other items are required (dust covers etc).

thanks in advance.

bretto86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Fair bit of info on here. 426Cuda has just done the upgrade.
GSLRallySport sell custom 355mm DBA 4000 T3 rotors & QFM pads, backing plate needs to be trimmed.
I've also heard you need to change bolts but haven't confirmed that (just remembered now...)

Otherwise direct bolt-on.

Doing front & rear on my SSV (non-redline)
Just waiting for calipers to clear customs...
Good luck!

SCM071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
myself, I'm not looking at upgrading the rotors at the moment, just putting a set of Brembos on the rear. I have a Redline and was curious what additional items I might need to buy if I bought a set from ebay?

SCM071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
just re read your post Bretto86. do you have to pay duty and tax (gst) after customs clearance?

bretto86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
No duty or GST as value is under $1000AUD.
That is calipers & pin kits only, pads & rotors will be sourced locally.

You will need to change rear rotors as the Brembo caliper is designed for a 355mm disc.
If you were to keep the standard items your pad would overhang the rotor by about 30mm...
You will need to trim factory dust shields to allow clearance for bigger rotors.

You will need calipers & pin kit, rotors & pads.
As mentioned I have also heard something about different (shorter) bolts but not 100% sure if that is necessary yet.
Hopefully someone who has done the conversion can chime in?

To do the rear with calipers, rotors & pads you would be up for roughly $1000 all up

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Blokes,

Yes you will need to buy a different set of caliper bolts for the rear. GM part # is 92139080. Cost is $31.40 inc GST. Ensure you use an appropriate thread seal and replacve the copper washers between the brake hose and caliper too.

My advice:
Unless you are a qualified mechanic DO NOT DO THIS UPGRADE YOURSELF. I can fix just about anything mechanical, but your brakes are critical safety items and your insurer for one will have conniptions if they know you did this yourself. Bye bye $ post accident. I've been in a car where the brake fluid reservoir popped off at high speed due to over tightening the retaining nut by a backyard spanner swinger. Deadly! For the sake of a couple hungie pay an expert. Having said that it's a simple job. Straight bolt up and bleed...

For anyone that is interested I have a set of 350mm slotted and dimpled RDA discs / rotors and matched QFM Performance pads (both new in box). I have these on the front of my Redline. They're very good, and will sell well below cost... I bought pads to suit 355mm rotors, and wasn't willing to grind the pads down, so bought 355mm rotors. My mechanic then sold me a set of pads for the 350mm rotors he had in stock! Job lot. PM if interested. I also have a set of HSV backing plates if you twist my arm, but am considering holdings these to fit to mine later.

The braking improvement on the Brembo fronts / standard rear on the Redline is significant. Effortless braking, no fade and with the right pads NO DUST! So the improvement on an SS or SSV will be massive! Happy to answer any Q's I can help with. These brakes should be standard on all new V8 / Turbo - Commy's, Falcons and Mopars etc. As much of a safety upgrade as adding airbags or ESP IMHO. Just do it!

P.S. I'm not certain but I understand the longer bolts required for the rear are the standard VE front bolts. The local Holden dealer first tried to sell me a set of HSV ones for $120 after some misunderstood advice. Also check the price of the copper / bronze washers for the hoses too as there are two different types I believe. One type is reusable (balloon type) and these are very expensive! The other type is a flat copper / bronze washer, non useable I believe and very cheap. Mind you this came from the local Holden Dealer who got the bolts wrong so it's not gospel! Just ask your dealer or your mechanic re this.

Happy stopping ;-)

022.jpg008.jpg

Last edited:

Why?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Harrop enhanced VF Redline Manual
Had mine done on Wednesday, I removed the VEE logo on the calipers with wet and dry then had some paint colour matched an touched up then sprayed clear coat followed by some high temperature Red Brembo decals. Harrops trimmed the original dust shields. Looks great.

Total cost including fitting was $1100 new calipers, pads and bolts from the USA, locally purchased 350mm rotors plus Harrops Labour.

MrG8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSVredline
Update on "Camaro Rear 4 spot Brembo's from the USA same as the Brembo's on the VE and VE SSV Redline?"
Short answer Yes the are ,They fit like a glove , great performance for a small price

Auto Parts Shed in Melbourne , Victoria have the Rotors and pads you need

1.Buy your Brembo rear calipers 4 PISTON BREMBO for "HOLDEN COMMODORE REDLINE, HSV ,G8 GXP ,SSV ,SS BIG BRAKES "
They are listed everywhere (you can buy them as a kit with pads and caliper bolts) if not below are part number for any part place in Aus
2.Rotor choice is as follows
-HSV -Holden Original Equipment (VE HSV 350mm Rear Rotors) $900.00 plus per pair "Genuine"
-DBA 42031/DBA42031S/DBA42031X/DBA42031XS. $480.00 per pair aprox
-RDA7376 type rotors $200.00 per pair aprox
-3H Rotors 42031-L , 42031-R Very Good Rotor $280.00 per pair aprox
3.Rear Caliper Bolts ,Holden Part Number GM-92139080 $35.00 set of 4 , Use the Genuine GM Bolts and you will sleep easy at night "Dont buy the HSV ones for $120.00 + ,HSV are rip off merchants (They are the Same Bolts)
4. Use a quality 4 Dot or higher Temp Brake fluid
5. Pads AC-DELCO PRO DURASTOP 17D1053M ,they also carry Brembo full Race Pads and many More , Ferrodo , Just ask the guys about the 4 spot Rear Camero Brembo Pads

Last thing is you will have to Frankenstein the Rear Brake dust shields ,trim off the curved lip off both , re-size the opening where the caliper will sit in,and you are done

Hand Brake mods-none needed ,all is a snug clean fit with pleasurable breaking and look fantastic