Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 flat spot, changed ignition and injectors now what?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Re-adjusted the rockers today, they were all a bit on the loose side, made a big improvement. If one or two of the lifters aren't holding enough pressure, will that cause my dramas? Do I really need antipump lifters with a .471lift cam lt1 springs and street terra rollers?

No

10 characters

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
One of them is really noisey on cold startup, nocks like a motherf@#ker for 10-15 seconds, do I just put up with it? Got it booked in at a mechanics next week, getting the fuel/vacume pressure checked and a leak down test.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
itll be number 8. holdens have **** oiling. just something you have to live with till it chews off number 8 lobe then get a new cam...

Agreed, mine has always had a bit of noise from 8 on cold starts while building top end pressure.

Holden V8's are a ticking time bomb when it comes to oiling, they have been for decades.

Last edited:

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Holden V8's are a ticking time bomb when it comes to oiling, they have been for decades.
not if you do the correct oiling mods to the block

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Funnily enough, the Holden V8 is known for pumping to much oil into the top end, by rights that means the lifters also get plenty of oil. A cold start rattle however would more likely be caused by low oil pressure because of wear in other parts of the oil system creating a longer lag time from a cold start and building oil pressure to the top end.

not if you do the correct oiling mods to the block

agreed. The stock oiling system is fine for a stock engine (as long as it's serviced regularly and the correct grade of oil is used) but when you start to push it some little mods can make a big difference.