Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The New Commodore VFII is Coming

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Its a nice upgrade for VE owners, with all the VF improvements and having the LS3 is great. Particularly in the base SS which is great value and a fantastic deal, as it will make the LS3 an affordable engine choice for a lot of folks who would otherwise never own one. I think if you have a Series 1 L77 VF, its not really as easy a choice though. Engine aside, you already have most of the real improvements VF has to offer. Personally while I could stretch to a series 2 Redline, I am just not seeing the need. I just really like the series VF Redline I own. It doesn't bother me that it doesn't have an LS3. Then again if it had I would have gone the HSV path in the first place.

The fact my early VF series 1 has been such a well put together car, also doesn't hurt. I've upgraded Aussie built cars in the past and lived to regret it. I've learnt that when you get a good one, you stick with it.

Congrats to Holden though. Nice to see the Commodore leaving us on a high note.

Last edited:

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
but the induction noise tube is a wank, when I do one I wont be bragging about that feature.

It just looks like a tube/air muffler coming off the existing intake and run through the firewall. 2 secs to disconnect/plug up when OTR is fitted.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Good point Daniel SSV, it is a great upgrade for VE owners. I reckon I get more use out of my DVD player than I would the extra power of the LS3

dazbug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
What would be a better buy, low kms VF1 redline with walkinshaw 310 pack and save about $8000 or a new vf2 redline

What would be a better engine, walkinshaw modified 6.0 or the new ls3 6.2?

Craterface

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 HSV GTS
I would get the LS3, same power as the modified 6.0 without the hassles from the boys in blue and much easier and cheaper to insure.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
And sure the LS3 is a worthy update, but hardly worth the hassle of trading in your series 1. I mean they've only tuned it to 304kw/570nm, you'd have a hard time noticing a remarkable difference to start with. I can hear it now "but the LS3 is a better modding platform". Sure, but you'll spend $15k trading to a series 2... just to mod it? Putting a fraction of that cost into the 6L is going to be much more effective, unless you have a money tree.
It just about ALWAYS pays to wait ... if you've got a Series I and feel the need to upgrade, the most sensible thing to do would be to wait another year & 3 months, and buy a 2016-build 2017-model at the end of 2016 with the extra tweaks & trinkets that we know they'll put into that. :)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
What would be a better buy, low kms VF1 redline with walkinshaw 310 pack and save about $8000 or a new vf2 redline
I'd expect to be saving over $8000, given that the VF1 is no longer "the current model".
Dealer prices are always inflated, it's hard to know what you can really buy a car for when they seem to have all the stock ... but a quick squiz on CarSales says that people are asking about $38k for a 20k km manual Redline. That's already about $15k off new price, and I'd want to haggle further.
Our demo 2014 wagon, which only had 70km on it, was ~$8000 of RRP 3 months ago.

It's a very rare thing where used isn't the best value ... I really have no arguments for buying new, we did it & we're happy we did it, but I can't argue that it's logical. :)

Good point Daniel SSV, it is a great upgrade for VE owners. I reckon I get more use out of my DVD player than I would the extra power of the LS3
What do you use it for?
The only thing I can imagine I'd ever use it for is if I was picking people up a lot, and waiting around at the station or similar a lot.
Or do you use it as a CD player? I do that, I like to buy my music in a form I can carry around (and which won't get deleted when I forget my iTunes password), so I like to be able to put the CD into the player & listen immediately after I've bought it (and before I get time to rip it to the 'phone). I don't do this often enough that the lack of the player would stop me buying a VF2, though.

QAR

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-V Wagon
Yes apart from the slightly used vs new case, there is also that of OEM+, where used is neither modified poorly nor to an extreme but rather choc full of important and proven bolt-on upgrades like brakes, suspension, transmission and engine breathing / longevity tweaks such that it is undeniably a better car than the new offering. Particularly so whilst the new engine is comparatively doughy, thirsty and stinky.
I think a VFI or even VEII with said bespoke refinements represents incredible value at this particular point in time. Its worth noting that in the US it seems the average sale price of a VEI (G8) with quality bolt-ons is appreciating to the point where the average price is US$25k (AUD$35.8k) with twice the typical milage and at least four times the age of a VFI here.