Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Well done that guy. GoPro on helmets win

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
No. Sticking something onto the helmet in NO WAY modifies the actual helmet. The helmet is still identical to how it was manufactured.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
It's worth noting that people who have used suction cups or velcro to attach cameras have also been fined in the same way.

These are obviously methods of attaching the units which haven't compromised the outer shell or prevented a mount from being removed (easily) without damage. It's also worth noting that people with bluetooth headsets haven't been fined, despite the bluetooth unit sitting .5 of a cm (or whatever it is) outside of the helmet.

I'll quote my last post as I believe this is the crux of the argument (to me anyway):

The problem that a lot of people are highlighting is that it's an Australia wide national standard that's enforced differently in different states. More to the point that Police officers themselves in states other than Vic are doing exactly the same thing (putting cameras on their helmets) as part of their job.

The problem is that there is no fixed way to approach this issue across the board, it varies state to sate when it shouldn't. You can bicker all you want about destroying the integrity of your helmet by attaching a giant dildo to it, but there's no precedence or guidelines despite the Police themselves doing what people have been fined for in other places. (And I do believe using glue or making holes isn't the right way to go).

I believe that people want to follow the law, but at the moment the law is not clear. Certain accessories are allowed on a helmet but others are not. Allowable methods of mounting are unclear. I really don't see why this is being battled out in the courts when new ADRs should really be tested or developed.

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
Over here in W.A we had police officers riding unmarked bikes for a while with cameras mounted on their helmets looking in car windows to catch people on mobile phones.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Interesting point about the blue tooth units. I've had one of those for more nearly 10 years! It's probably a bit smaller than my GoPro but still... Same logic SHOULD apply.

Over here in W.A we had police officers riding unmarked bikes for a while with cameras mounted on their helmets looking in car windows to catch people on mobile phones.

They still do.

And this should be done a LOT more EVERYWHERE. Nothing shits me more on the road than seeing people using their phones.

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
I'm a scrutineer at Roadrace bike events & we don't allow cameras on helmets. One of the problems in racing is the mount tends to break & the camera falls off & the rider following runs over it & can crash. Cameras can only be mounted to the bike & secured with a secondary tether to stop them causing issues when the mount breaks.

6LSSVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 Series II 6 Speed SS Sportswagon
Gentlemen, it's ALL about INSURANCE and lawsuits.
If you happen to manufacture ANYTHING and go to the considerable trouble and expense of getting it professionally and accurately tested to comply with whatever standards are required, then you, as a manufacturer have a legal "out" if the consumer decides to modify it in any way.
This is purely designed to save your ass in court if your product fails and/or somebody is injured using your product.
In the case of motorcycle helmets, in particular those constructed using polycarbonate shells, the fixing of stickers/decals/GoPro mounts etc. can greatly affect and reduce the strength of the shell.
This is because some chemicals used in some self-adhesive materials attacks polycarbonate, effectively making it brittle.

Same can be said for most OH&S practices in the workplace: Insurance demands vs employee lawsuits.
It's NOT about safety, it's ALL about shifting the blame to the employee in the event of a workplace accident.
If a workplace legally has it's OH&S policies and procedures in place and employees are suitably trained, licensed, Hi-Vizzed, steel capped, safety glassed, hearing protected, hard-hatted etc. etc. and somebody gets run over by a fork lift - well who's fault is it going to be?
Certainly not the employer.

Sadly, if Michael Schumacher wants to stick a GoPro on his helmet and ski into a tree (as apparently he did), well we all know what happened there and I don't think the helmet manufacturer has too much to worry about.
I can't recall Mr Schumacher (or any other F1 driver for that matter) using a helmet cam in any F1 event. Wonder why?

In summary, here's the product and associated and very expensive legal compliance. Please buy it - but mess with it at your own peril.

As for the over-zealous Policing of helmet cams it should be noted the cop involved was based in Frankston.
There was a bunch of idiots hooning around this area (Frankston North aka The Pines) on dirtbikes a while ago at all hours of the day and night on main roads, freeways and populated suburbia.
Unlicensed, unregistered, unroadworthy, underage and uninsured.
All with helmetcams with their exploits shortly posted on U-Tube for their own personal "hero self-worshipping" and gratification... until the Frankston Police saw them.
Busted.
Turns out one of them was the same reckless idiot who later ran over and killed a woman at the Carrum Downs shopping centre and then cowardly rode off - allegedly.
I can understand why the cop doesn't like helmetcams.

Perhaps this is a good opportunity for a helmet manufacturer to make a cam-equipped Standards compliant helmet?
Preferably one that doesn't stick out like a "giant dildo".
I would buy one because I ride.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I can't recall Mr Schumacher (or any other F1 driver for that matter) using a helmet cam in any F1 event. Wonder why?

When as many TV cameras and audiences are on me dailying on the race track to work as there are Micahel Schumacher, then maybe I wouldn't feel the desire to wear one.

Don't get where you're going with your unlicensed riders bit though. The footage caught them out as you tell it. Are you saying helmet cams encouraged them or something?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
When as many TV cameras and audiences are on me
dailying on the race track to work as there are Micahel Schumacher, then maybe I wouldn't feel the desire to wear one.

Don't get where you're going with your unlicensed riders bit though. The footage caught them out as you tell it. Are you saying helmet cams encouraged them or something?

I reckon that social media such as U-Tube could have a big influence on idiots performing stupid and illegal actsjust to gain some sort of hero status.

As SSV said they get their kicks out of posting their acts on these sites and watching the "likes" pour in from hundreds of other feeble minded imbeciles, who yhink the offenders are legends. The fools are even too stupid to realise what they have provided to police in the way of solid evidence to gain a conviction.

Obviously this is a completely separate issue and unrelated to the original thread.

Last edited: