Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Red or White

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I reckon a lot of people choose white & fleet metallic white (often called silver) because they think it helps resale; ignoring how boring it looks.
Then when people see a real colour, like yours, it pops.
I get heaps of people saying the dark mica green looks great; yeah, it shows up dust worse than silver, but it also looks less like a rental than silver.

In general I agree that silver and white are safe options which can be easier to sell but I’ve owned a few cars in in both colours and it depends on how they are presented with rims and mods to how they look which is not always boring.

I love the black on white look but as this is most likely the last new Ute I'll ever buy, in the end I choose a colour which I hope will be less common.

It‘s like having a factory original GTHO in black or Wild Violet, in ’71 they were unpopular colours but today they are desirable for the fact there are few genuine ones around.

The reason we choose colours like silver is to NOT get noticed. Its called slipping under the radar.

Yeah I know what you mean, I choose my C63 in silver so nobody would notice it in traffic. :lmao:

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I have ordered an SSVR in white because I think they look great and it will be easier to colour match after some tool crashes into it or a roo jumps out in front of it.

atomic_ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon S2
It‘s like having a factory original GTHO in black or Wild Violet, in ’71 they were unpopular colours but today they are desirable for the fact there are few genuine ones around.

As a long term "investment" I certainly think that the "hero" colours are the way to go. Particularly if it becomes iconic for that particular series. But for most people who will flip their car in 2-3 years when their lease is up they look for something that is standard and easy to sell.

For me, I wanted an atomic green VE ute - not a colour for everone. However when I sold it earlier this year it was exactly the colour the buyer was looking for, and in its condition he was willing to pay a premium for it.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
As a long term "investment" I certainly think that the "hero" colours are the way to go. Particularly if it becomes iconic for that particular series.
I think only if it becomes iconic for that particular series.
What are said colours though? Tiger Mica is the obvious one, but for example I don't even recall what model Phantom was on.

For me, I wanted an atomic green VE ute - not a colour for everyone. However when I sold it earlier this year it was exactly the colour the buyer was looking for, and in its condition he was willing to pay a premium for it.
Yeah I understand that.
If you've got a colour in mind, when buying use it's hard to be picky; but if that colour actually turns up it's HomerWoohoo(tm).
Apparently it's the same when you're looking for new, the colour you want is NLA, but then you find a demo with no km's on it. :)

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Forg, phantom is black and on every model.
There were a couple of unique colours i can think of;
VX Hyper mica
VY Hothouse green, Cosmo purple
VZ Turismo, Impulse, ignition late in the range
VE Morpheous, Kapow, Atomic, Ignition, Hazard, Crunch, Poison Ivy (thanks pan head), and a few newer ones for VF.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I think only if it becomes iconic for that particular series.
What are said colours though? Tiger Mica is the obvious one, but for example I don't even recall what model Phantom was on.

The problem with Tiger Mica is that it was so well liked at the time every second car was that colour.

One of my favourite recent colours was Poison Ivy though I’m probably bias as I had a VE in that colour.

It had sat in the dealership for 3 months before I bought it because most people thought it was too dark.

Hero colours that have limited appeal are often a good choice for collectors if you can live with the colour and in my case I’m not going to live long enough for my Ute to be worth anything but maybe my grandchildren will appreciate it if the choice of colour adds extra value.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Forg, phantom is black and on every model.
There were a couple of unique colours i can think of;
VX Hyper mica
VY Hothouse green, Cosmo purple
VZ Turismo, Impulse, ignition late in the range
VE Morpheous, Kapow, Atomic, Ignition, Hazard, Crunch, Poison Ivy (thanks pan head), and a few newer ones for VF.
Phantom was in some model or other a dark metallic purple; Phantom as in The Phantom, Australian comic-strip character, and his purple getup.

Last edited:

atomic_ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon S2
Phantom was in some model or other a dark metallic purple; Phantom as in The Phantom, Australian comic-strip character, and his purple getup.

Closest colour would be morpheus. Ford did release the BA Falcon with a specific colour called Phantom Purple.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Googling around it appears to be a Falcon colour I have in mind .... my wrongness would indicate there are very few 'hero colours' that anyone remembers.