Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden/GM still committed to V8 Sports Car for Australia

bLackjackj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
http://www.motoring.com.au/detroit-motor-show-holden-v8-sports-car-within-three-years-105407/

It’s a small update, but it’s an update nonetheless: Holden’s promised rear-wheel drive V8 sports car will arrive before 2020.

That was the confirmation made by General Motors International president Stefan Jacoby this week in the first update since the senior executive confirmed a Commodore SS replacement was coming exactly two years ago.

Jacoby started a firestorm in 2015 when he told Australian media that GM was developing a suitable new performance option that would appease Australian enthusiasts in the wake of Holden’s manufacturing shutdown.

“It will be most likely a V8, it will be a sports car and it will be a global car,” Jacoby said at the time.

“It will be something which truly fulfils the requirement of a true Holden sports car. We will bring a true sports car to Australia for the brand portfolio. It is not currently in production.”

The Chevrolet Corvette and Chevrolet Camaro have shortened as the likely candidates alluded to by Jacoby, particularly the former.

This week, Jacoby confirmed the promised sports car would be among 24 new models due from Holden between 2015 and 2020. But that was all he was willing to reveal.

“That was 2015. It is only 2017. Please be patient,” Jacoby said.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
At least we are starting to see light at the end of the tunnel

Mustang is ok, first bunch released here had some panel gaps and other issues and hoping more and more options arrive so prices come down and parts cheap also

Last edited:

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Haven't we been through this before? Last I heard the yanks refused to make right-hand-drive versions of either the Corvette or Camaro.

Or maybe Trump's push for American manufacturing/export will sway that decision?

have shortened as the likely candidates alluded to by Jacoby

What does this mean?

Sounds like a fancy way of saying "this journalist's guess" to me!

Andrew

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. don't believe a word of it
just a series of comments to distract punters from the REAL issues that Holden have
in the Australian auto scene.

Simply Holden has lost relevance to new car buyers, as apart from Commodore, they had...
Captiva aptly called Craptiva
Barina beaten by Kia and the Europeans on features and price
Astra.. killed off the Cruze and is no better than a Mazda 3 (and it is NEW!)
Colorado...even the latest offering comes nowhere close to the Ranger or Mazda
Trax.... haha don't make me larf! Drove one as a loan car from my local dealer and wondered
how they could build something so bad (noisy terrible to drive so-so brakes)
Cascada... seen an add for one? large lumpy underpowered poor interior Astra soft top replacement. It ain't actually
as it so old (nearly 5 years since released in Europe)

and so
is there anything to get you into a Holden showroom these days? (no.. ignore HSV in that)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Actually, first drives of the Astra are saying it's in the Golf league.
That's the unperformancey versions at least, OPC ones aren't out yet.
By comparison, Cruze only had price on it's side.

And GM have been saying they're planning to produce the next Corvette in RHD for a while now. Notsomuch for the Camaro (not impossible but they've not been saying they'll do it).

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
.. don't believe a word of it
just a series of comments to distract punters from the REAL issues that Holden have
in the Australian auto scene.

Simply Holden has lost relevance to new car buyers, as apart from Commodore, they had...
Captiva aptly called Craptiva
Barina beaten by Kia and the Europeans on features and price
Astra.. killed off the Cruze and is no better than a Mazda 3 (and it is NEW!)
Colorado...even the latest offering comes nowhere close to the Ranger or Mazda
Trax.... haha don't make me larf! Drove one as a loan car from my local dealer and wondered
how they could build something so bad (noisy terrible to drive so-so brakes)
Cascada... seen an add for one? large lumpy underpowered poor interior Astra soft top replacement. It ain't actually
as it so old (nearly 5 years since released in Europe)

and so
is there anything to get you into a Holden showroom these days? (no.. ignore HSV in that)

I have to agree Smitty, you have hit the nail on the head.
It's sad but true that apart from Commodore, every other vehicle in their range has been lacklustre, inferior and always ends up being rated towards the bottom against its rivals. The rot started when GM took over Daewoo and started rebadging cheap and nasty Daewoos as Holdens. It's been a slow train wreck ever since and as a lifelong Holden fan, quite depressing to watch.
I blame the yanks, as they are the ones pulling the strings and dictating to Holden what products they must sell.
Cars like the Epica and Malibu for instance... Who in their right mind thought they were a good idea? I could have told them from day one that they would be a flop and not to even bother bringing them here.
If only Holden were allowed to design and develop their own cars in each category without any interference from GM - imagine how fantastic Holden's lineup would be. It obviously would never happen due to cost, but one can only wonder.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

And GM have been saying they're planning to produce the next Corvette in RHD for a while now. Notsomuch for the Camaro (not impossible but they've not been saying they'll do it).

The next gen Corvette will be mid engined. Should be very easy to make it RHD.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..

Forg, as much as I respect your right to post whatever you like, is there any particular reason why you insist upon making words up and generally bastardising the English language?

I enjoy your banter, but honestly, these made up words seem a bit superfluous?

Not trying to start an argument, just genuinely interested :/

Last edited:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

Having driven the new Astra (courtesy of Holden at the Victorian release and drive day)
it is quiet and competent. As for performance.. it is adequate with the 1.4 turbo and spritely
with the 1.6T. A Golf GTI it is not. Having said that, the ONLY models on the drive days were ... manual versions
(autos won't be here until March)

The performance version IS HERE(has been for more than a year) .. the 3 door hotrod version and no, it is NOT a GTI equivalent, good but more Renault RS

Opel-Astra-OPC-3.jpg

It was interesting that Holden had a MAzda 3 and a Golf on show for comparison. ALL of them had good points
.... and bad points (eg the Astra has no spare wheel nor space for it and had a piece of wooly cardboard as a rear boot cover)
The Astra looks good (for a change with some GM models) compared to those 2.. but price was an issue that came up on the day.

I note Holden have reduced the price (and refunded buyers).....

and the Corvette in RHD? Well they might (Mike Simco has just been in charge of design of the next model)
but we won't see it... before probably 2022 (if ever)