Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden/GM still committed to V8 Sports Car for Australia

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Smitty that's the old model 3dr Astra.
Holden only got it a year or two ago, true, but it was sold as an Opel here before that, and it's been for sale in Europe for a full model-cycle now; it's fairly old.
They're due to replace it fairly soon (don't know quite how soon - can't be long given the 4drs are near if not here) but are doing the (higher volume) 4dr first.

There's nothing trying to be a GTI equivalent in the new 4dr range yet, is there? Just base, mid-spec & luxo, nothing trying to be sporty? [No OPC or VXR badges?]

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Smitty that's the old model 3dr Astra.
Holden only got it a year or two ago, true, but it was sold as an Opel here before that, and it's been for sale in Europe for a full model-cycle now; it's fairly old.
They're due to replace it fairly soon (don't know quite how soon - can't be long given the 4drs are near if not here) but are doing the (higher volume) 4dr first.

There's nothing trying to be a GTI equivalent in the new 4dr range yet, is there? Just base, mid-spec & luxo, nothing trying to be sporty? [No OPC or VXR badges?]

No.. that is the CURRENT sports or performance Astra and there is NO replacement for it in the new 5 door Astra series being introduced here now
(according to Holden... I asked at the Drive day about this very point) It is and will be the GTI competitor (which it really is not... having driven it)

So now, you can see why I say Holden have no bloody idea ....

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It may be current, but it's still old. :)
They're not replacing it at all? Not even with a 5dr VXR or OPC? Oh deity-of-choice, you're right, there really is no product anyone would want to buy is there?
I mean yeah, when they were selling the old-shape made-in-Poland alongside the new shape a few years back, a few people bought them because they were so cheap. But you can't sell the old model of something alongside the new model, and have the old model as your "premium" product. Hrmm.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
This approach (old and new model) is what they're thinking with the C8 and mid engined Corvette. It's why I am of tge opinion the mid engined Vette becomes the global car and the front engine version endures as the US cut rate version.

It may be current, but it's still old. :)
They're not replacing it at all? Not even with a 5dr VXR or OPC? Oh deity-of-choice, you're right, there really is no product anyone would want to buy is there?
I mean yeah, when they were selling the old-shape made-in-Poland alongside the new shape a few years back, a few people bought them because they were so cheap. But you can't sell the old model of something alongside the new model, and have the old model as your "premium" product. Hrmm.

XR_Strider_GuY

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN F2 SV Black
From what I know on Corvette and Camaro (Yes I spoke with the head of Corvette Engineering during my visit to the US) the situation stands as follows. The current generation Camaro is not engineered for right hand drive. As of last year in September there has not been a case study for a right hand drive market for Camaro. The C7 Corvette is not engineered for right hand drive either. My personal observation is that car companies never retro design right drive versions midway unless its been engineered from the ground up to be right and left hand drive (Zeta VE/VF and Mustang).

My Opinions: The so called Zora mid-engine Corvette I feel is a niche super car by General Motors to take on the latest Eco-Boost Ford GT for Lemans. The car will cost comfortably over $120k USD. Remember, in the Lemans/Sports Car GT category the Corvette C7R runs a 5.5L engine due to regulations. A dedicated car will see GM realize their dreams of mid engine and to take on the Europeans. This will be a strict build 150-200 car proposition. Selling a mid engine Corvette in the $50k range with a V8 and durable drive train (priced a Ricardo trans-axle lately) is not likely. Add to the fact that there are many Corvette guys who love the usual front engine, rear drive, swoopy composite body and leaf spring formula.
The regular Corvette even the future C8 guise and the up coming ZR1 will continue as the usual with the trusty pushrod GenV (God Bless America) legendary engine. For Australia (as much as I love Corvette's) a regular Covette is simply too expensive. A fully loaded mid level Grandsport in the US is $60k USD give or take. By the time it arrives here this car would be $100-120k AUD. Not a car that will shift in huge numbers like Mustang.

Prediction: GM are naturally tight lipped about any future models but there could be a 2 door V8 coupe we have never seen within the 3 year time frame mentioned. Think of a car that looks like a Challenger but from GM with perhaps some retro styling and a retro name with a cool name. They could sell this with a V6 and V8 and cover the $50-70k mark that we V8 enthusiasts all love and are actually buying. Yes this will take on the Mustang nose on. The other possibility is the next generation Camaro where ground up designed in left and right hand drive.

Cheers,
Gary.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
“It will be something which truly fulfils the requirement of a true Holden sports car. We will bring a true sports car to Australia for the brand portfolio. It is not currently in production.”

Isn't this they key comment ?

Who knows what it will actually be.

Nugget0101

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bus
Isn't this they key comment ?

Who knows what it will actually be.
Perhaps they are referring to the fact that there is no right-hand in production, not necessarily the model. Well have to wait sadly. I like Gary's prediction of a completely new, global coupe. Essentially a right hand camaro.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Having driven the new Astra (courtesy of Holden at the Victorian release and drive day)
it is quiet and competent. As for performance.. it is adequate with the 1.4 turbo and spritely
with the 1.6T. A Golf GTI it is not. Having said that, the ONLY models on the drive days were ... manual versions
(autos won't be here until March)

The performance version IS HERE(has been for more than a year) .. the 3 door hotrod version and no, it is NOT a GTI equivalent, good but more Renault RS

Opel-Astra-OPC-3.jpg

It was interesting that Holden had a MAzda 3 and a Golf on show for comparison. ALL of them had good points
.... and bad points (eg the Astra has no spare wheel nor space for it and had a piece of wooly cardboard as a rear boot cover)
The Astra looks good (for a change with some GM models) compared to those 2.. but price was an issue that came up on the day.

I note Holden have reduced the price (and refunded buyers).....

and the Corvette in RHD? Well they might (Mike Simco has just been in charge of design of the next model)
but we won't see it... before probably 2022 (if ever)

I drove one of these last March as a loan car for a week.

I was impressed but that’s because my expectations were very low.

It had a good seat of the pants feel but still it wasn’t what I’d call quick enough compared to some of the current hot hatches I’ve tested.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Perhaps they are referring to the fact that there is no right-hand in production, not necessarily the model. Well have to wait sadly. I like Gary's prediction of a completely new, global coupe. Essentially a right hand camaro.

... don't rule out a 'global' 4 door sedan (in both LHD and RHD)

GM have to fill the spots left by the Caprice (as police car) and Commodore (as Chev SS)
in the USA...and a V8 powered say Chevrolet 4 door something would fit the bill

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
... don't rule out a 'global' 4 door sedan (in both LHD and RHD)

GM have to fill the spots left by the Caprice (as police car) and Commodore (as Chev SS)
in the USA...and a V8 powered say Chevrolet 4 door something would fit the bill

Nope, GM have publicly stated that they won't be replacing the Chev SS as they don't see a future with large, RWD sedans (especially V8's).

My opinion is that our next GMH Sports Car won't be from Chevrolet, but instead will likely come from another GM sub-brand and will be more akin to the Buick Avista concept:

2016-buick-concept-avista-landing-page-image-05-938x528-022.jpg