Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My 2006 VZ SS 6L Manual ute! (never dial-up friendly)

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yea, those mufflers are varlex, they're what I want on the monaro .
The utes bounce the sound around more with that big ase boot.
Yeah I went very practical and conservative and it's good but that extra kick with some revs would make it a bit more enjoyable
I just had a look else where and someone recons for mine with the crow 4503 cam and all the right mods you'll get around 420 horses, not bad in a vs. All I need is a money tree!!!
From what your tuner is telling you it sounds like you'd be on a winner and would really enjoy the vcm713. Yeah if you don't lose anything down low and you get nice improvement from mid range on then it would be all :)

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Yea, those mufflers are varlex, they're what I want on the monaro .
The utes bounce the sound around more with that big ase boot.
Yeah I went very practical and conservative and it's good but that extra kick with some revs would make it a bit more enjoyable
I just had a look else where and someone recons for mine with the crow 4503 cam and all the right mods you'll get around 420 horses, not bad in a vs. All I need is a money tree!!!
From what your tuner is telling you it sounds like you'd be on a winner and would really enjoy the vcm713. Yeah if you don't lose anything down low and you get nice improvement from mid range on then it would be all :)

Ah yeah Varex is the one, expensive as though.

I hope it's nice improvement, should be about 50RWKW+

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Get those throttle body type opening ones instead , install a exhaust with a good muffler so its quite then have the cutout half way down the exhaust so it opens and bypasses the muffler

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EXHAUST-...410528?hash=item41a513c520:g:s10AAOSwyQtVp2~L

Good idea in theory, but the mufflers I have now will be loud with a cam. Idle will almost be 1k rpm which is why it'll be noisy. I could change the mufflers and do what you said but if I was going to do that I might aswell just get varex ones haha.

I'll see how it goes. My exhaust system does run two mufflers as it is.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
camshaft dilemma.
are you ever really and truly going to use high up in the rev range?
seriously, will you ever really use anything about 3500 every day :p

go the smaller one that you actually want and will actually be in the rev ranges for more often.
its a daily, not a weekender afterall

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
That's my line of thoughts too dawnnite. Comes down to your personal driving style I guess, I usually shift between 4-5k so a lower end RPM cam would better suit my style. But then again I am not interested in a cam at this stage, much and more research to be done by myself.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
camshaft dilemma.
are you ever really and truly going to use high up in the rev range?
seriously, will you ever really use anything about 3500 every day :p

go the smaller one that you actually want and will actually be in the rev ranges for more often.
its a daily, not a weekender afterall

See i do agree with you, but I take alot of private roads on the way to work ;)

Haha nah but seriously, on the way to work I take the westernport which is 100kms then round about then 100kms round about etc.. So there is a place to use it...

But I know you said it's not a weekender but I still drive it on weekends obviously. I want to take it to fast Friday nights and get some times down also.

It's very hard to figure out what I want to do. Smaller cam will be more use able during the week i understand that, but the times where I want more is where I feel I might regret going smaller.

It only takes 10 minutes to get to work and 10 to get home as it's 80-100kms the whole way. Some very small bits of traffic..

I've been advised that it won't kill the lower rpm range, it just won't have more power until 3.5k rpm. Which let's be honest, the 6l already has a heap of torque. I feel like it'll be like a turbo, the extra 60kw+ at 3500rpm plus lol

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
So glad you're going through all this just before me, making my life so so much easier haha. Looking forward to hearing how the cam goes, should sound sweet in person.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Haha I'm pretty certain with the VCM713 now - just going to see if the tuner can comfortability get an 110LSA to behave otherwise i'll stick with the 112LSA. 110 would idle much rougher/tougher, and would be even faster instant torque @ 3500rpm. He's pretty adamant he can tune it well though.

Won't be for a little while though, maybe 2-3 months... But it'll get there!

When I get it done you're welcome to come for a spin :p.

It's like they said though, the cam will barely come into play during low speed areas or traffic and it'll be a bit of a bitch for the small amount of traffic i have, but mountain runs, drag days, weekend drives... whole different story. Driving to and from work I don't really give it too much anyway, i feel if you're going to get on the gas you might aswell get the most out of it lol.

VCM advertise the VCM713 to be over 315RWKW.. I'm not really caring about the figure but would be nice to hit the 300 club. The torque it adds is ridiculous, accompanied with a 3.9 diff gear set it should be real sweet.

Only thing that's lurking in my mind is clutch, previous owner put a H-D exedy clutch + flywheel. Should hold a bit of power but if it fails I'll need to get a new clutch and flywheel $$$$

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
gotta pay to play haha.
plenty of stuff should hold up fine if you aren't abusive to it.

looks like you are now set on which one you are getting.
and yeah the numbers aren't important as long as its fun and has plenty of pull :p