Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Draining the radiator gives 3L

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
if it is that bad i would drive it for a week then flush with hose and repeat until it comes clean

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
The first coolant change I did in the VB....1/3 sludge, 1/3 clear water 1/3 rusty flakes.

There after it got a coolant change with every oil change (i.e. 6 months)

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Have you thought about using a cooling system cleaner first then flush it ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What mix are you running in it now? It's probably time to start running coolant in it to stop any further corrosion. Then in a few weeks drain it again and start over.
I think they sell cooling system flush products these days? No idea if they're any good or not.

Member 1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Have you thought about using a cooling system cleaner first then flush it ?
Hi Dayvo :)
Before I started I used Nulon Flush but I must have used around 100ml (the bottle is 300ml) because I could not add any more because the system was full of water. I drove the car for 30 minutes (min 20, max 60). The first flush with demineralised water I used a full bottle of Nulon Flush&Clean.

Member 1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
What mix are you running in it now? It's probably time to start running coolant in it to stop any further corrosion.
I started working on the car yesterday. I do not need to drive it to work, so I have not driven it since. I plan to flush the heater core with the hose and do another 5 more demineralised water flushes each night before the weekend.
I need to drive it for a total of an hour on the weekend.

Member 1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
if it is that bad i would drive it for a week then flush with hose and repeat until it comes clean
Thanks.
I am trying to understand; what is the reason to drive it for a week and then flush it? Is it because I flushed it several times and it's still dirty and I need to use it on regular basis? or is it better that I drive it and then flush it?
I agree with you. I do not drive to work but eventually I will need to drive it and as the clean water is not yet clean, I will have to do what you are suggesting.

There after it got a coolant change with every oil change (i.e. 6 months)
Thanks again. agree, I think I will have to change it regularly every 6 months until it comes out clear.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
When i had my vx i undid the heater hose from the motor and folded it over and put a zip tie on it to block it off . Then after draining the radiator and block put the lower radiator hose back on and take off the radiator cap . Put the garden hose in where the heater hose was disconnected and let it run until the water ran clear out of the radiator cap . Then connected everything back. I used the nulon ultra cool which is easier cos you only need 500ml for up to 10 litres of water. Then run it up to operating temp then bleed the system .

Member 1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Then run it up to operating temp then bleed the system .
I am trying to understand what you mean by 'bleeding' the system after running the car up to operating temperature.
Before I start filling the system, i open the bleeder screw (two turns) and then add coolant/clean water into the radiator cap. I can hear air escaping (from the bleeding screw) as I am filling it in until I see some coolant/water coming out from the bleeding screw. I tighten it then and continue to add more coolant/clean water until no more is getting in the radiator. I start the engine and run it until it reaches operating temperature (around 15 min). During that time, bubbles come out. When I reach operating temperature I watch the coolant/clean water level in the funnel on the radiator. When it starts rising a bit, I stop the engine (usually 10min or less after reaching operating temp). Add coolant/clean water into the overflow. When the car cools down, I add more coolant/clean water into the radiator.
Is there anything else I need to do to bleed it?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Ok after flushing and filling and adding coolant, put radiator cap on and tighten bleed nipple. Run motor to operating temp . While motor still running open bleed nipple on thermostat until all air escapes then tighten it . Let motor run for further 5 minutes and repeat . Turn motor off and when cool add more water , also make sure that overflow bottle it topped up . Keep an eye on the coolant level in the radiator over the next week as you might need to top it up

Last edited: