Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How many of you would buy VF SERIES 2 again (SS)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Highly highly unlikely I'd buy a VFII SS for the first time. After driving SS's for over 15 years and a Senator for 3 or 4 I'm pretty much over them. That said I'll probably be lining up for a GTS or LSA Senator (if I can find the right car) the year after next.

I have a LSA Tourer available to blast every now and again and I have to admit they are immensely fun.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I thought about this over the last few days...

If my car was written off and I had my insurance money...would I buy the same car again ?

I am actually not so sure..
I got used to extra power quickly and hardly notice it now...
It chews petrol like nuts as it's my daily..
LS3 is noisy old tech engine...

Yes it has many positives but...

I think I could settle with Mazda 6 or perhaps Subaru Liberty V6...

I am not sure...the car just did not meet my expectations... maybe it is because i wanted it for very long time and hyped it up in my head...Maybe i am just getting old and boring...

What is your honest experience...

Ron, I noticed you didn't include a V6 VF as an alternative to the Mazda 6 and Liberty which would be a H6. You had a VE SV6 previously, I also had an VE SV6 (My10 SIDI) and always thought it went quite well and if downsizing from a V8, but not wanting to go to a four that the V6 was a very good compromise for a daily. My wife has an 08 Forester 2.5 which is 4 speed auto, and a 3.6 V6 is much better engine and transmission wise. I have an 09 VE SS auto, plus my old VX R8 Clubby manual but use a 2012 manual Fiesta for a work commuter (33Kms each way in Sydney peak traffic), while I wouldn't suggest that running another car even a small one will cost less than keeping the V8 as a weekender plus running a small car like the Fiesta, it is good for fuel, and I can cover the rego and the insurance with the fuel savings, even servicing is no problem given the KMs are spread between 2 cars. The thing that tips the dollars against running 2 cars is the depreciation of the second car although there is an upside in that running a lot less Kms on the V8 should help reduce its depreciation. If you really aren't that happy with the V8 all things considered, the LS3 V8's are getting good money right now while they are near new cars, you would probably get very good money for your car, and buy into something else.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Ron, I noticed you didn't include a V6 VF as an alternative to the Mazda 6 and Liberty which would be a H6. You had a VE SV6 previously, I also had an VE SV6 (My10 SIDI) and always thought it went quite well and if downsizing from a V8, but not wanting to go to a four that the V6 was a very good compromise for a daily. My wife has an 08 Forester 2.5 which is 4 speed auto, and a 3.6 V6 is much better engine and transmission wise. I have an 09 VE SS auto, plus my old VX R8 Clubby manual but use a 2012 manual Fiesta for a work commuter (33Kms each way in Sydney peak traffic), while I wouldn't suggest that running another car even a small one will cost less than keeping the V8 as a weekender plus running a small car like the Fiesta, it is good for fuel, and I can cover the rego and the insurance with the fuel savings, even servicing is no problem given the KMs are spread between 2 cars. The thing that tips the dollars against running 2 cars is the depreciation of the second car although there is an upside in that running a lot less Kms on the V8 should help reduce its depreciation. If you really aren't that happy with the V8 all things considered, the LS3 V8's are getting good money right now while they are near new cars, you would probably get very good money for your car, and buy into something else.
Yes I had MY10 sv6 before. Liked the car but i always wanted more out of it...
Now i got SS which i wanted since 2004.. and Whilst i do enjoy it... I dont love it. it's just another mode of transport..
It seems that the only car I loved was my VT S l67 ;)

Last edited:

Ponza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk GroupA, VF SSV Redline
I have a VF series 1 redline, yes I would buy another one although I did drive one of my mates GTSR last week and loved it so I think I'd try and find a GTS.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
I have purchased 3 VF's brand new and if mine was written off I would look away from Holden's offerings now. Maybe a V6 Amarok, or maybe a smaller car like a AMG A45 or a Kia Stinger once released.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
To be honest, now that I have the LS3 nothing much else out there moves me (in my price range). With the more affordable Tesla 3 coming out here in 2019 and the rumour of a flood of similar vehicles within the next 5-7 yrs as further advances in battery technology escalates, I'm seriously thinking if I can't have another 8 then why not go electric?

I wouldn't sell the LS3 and I can't see petrol prices escalating due to electric competition so I'd probably prefer one of each....mind you if Camaro ever comes on line at a reasonable price I'd be re-thinking that last statement that's for sure.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I would. In fact, I'm about 8 days away from taking delivery of my MSE. I can't wait. I could have bought an HSV, any number of Asian or Euro cars. I chose the car I wanted though. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
I still love driving my VF Redline as much as the day I bought it. More in fact, as the mods have improved it.

If the passion isn't there, any car you drive will be just a means of getting from a to b. No car can change that.

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
I'd buy my VF2 SS again I've been wrapped with it & a big improvement over the s1 in terms of performance which isn't spectacular in stock form. The LS3 responds well to bolt ons and cam install and becomes a fun car to drive if you like FR cars.
I've been happy with the economy also an improvement over my s1 SS. Although it has been heavy on juice around town since fitting a high stall converter.
I'll keep my vf2 forever despite what I get into next

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
I concur, what else can you buy standard that gives you the sound/involvement that this one can and drag a family around in a wagon?

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
I have purchased 3 VF's brand new and if mine was written off I would look away from Holden's offerings now. Maybe a V6 Amarok, or maybe a smaller car like a AMG A45 or a Kia Stinger once released.

I just put my blown Series 1 Calais V on Carsales. Fantastic car and if I had more garage space would keep it. I bought (pick up Tuesday) the new Golf R hot AWD 5 door hatch. Should be a completely different experience.