Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine makes little grind when starting cold

MrWebby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series
Hi,

I have a 2012 series 2 ve Z Series, when I start the car first thing in the morning, if the ambient temperature is cold it will make a one-two second grind just after starting, if the temp is warm or after the motor has warmed up it goes fine.

I've replaced the starter motor, just had a fully refurbished motor put in. I'm not holding the key too long, the battery is holding charge. Anyone have any other ideas?

MrWebby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series
Take it back to the people who refurbished the motor, if necessary leave over night, so as it may replicate the noise.
Good luck!
Motor came from Holden, it was a swap over, I'll call them but I don't know how long the warranty was for on it

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Firstly, holding the key on too long is not a thing with a VE. The start-up cycle is controlled by the computer and will disengage the starter motor as soon as the computer detects the engine firing. Basically you can flick the key for even a split-second and let go and the rest is automatic. Try it.

Secondly, the timing chain is tensioned by oil pressure and the pressure is bled off over time with the engine switched off. Hence why it will have some chain rattle when cold (or even lukewarm), prior to the tensioners getting full oil pressure. Quite common and nothing to worry about.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Secondly, the timing chain is tensioned by oil pressure and the pressure is bled off over time with the engine switched off. Hence why it will have some chain rattle when cold (or even lukewarm), prior to the tensioners getting full oil pressure. Quite common and nothing to worry about.

If its a chain rattle then this is highly likely your problem. Technically you could still drive it like this until you get an engine light.
But eventually be looking at a Timing Chain/Tensioner/Guides job or if lucky maybe the camshaft actuator has clogged up and just needs replacing. But 99% of the time its the full chain kit job that fixes it. Since everything is else and cleaned up as well.

If its a recent / or still in warranty engine, I definately would be taking it back.

MrWebby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series
If its a chain rattle then this is highly likely your problem. Technically you could still drive it like this until you get an engine light.
But eventually be looking at a Timing Chain/Tensioner/Guides job or if lucky maybe the camshaft actuator has clogged up and just needs replacing. But 99% of the time its the full chain kit job that fixes it. Since everything is else and cleaned up as well.

If its a recent / or still in warranty engine, I definately would be taking it back.

Being fully refurbished it has a brand new timing chain set on it, so I doubt that would be the problem. It doesn't sound like a chain noise, it sounds like a cog noise

MrWebby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z Series
Forgot to mention after reading my post, the noise started with my old motor after my battery died once, ever since it's been happening so I doubt it's to do with the new motor. Thats why I replaced the starter motor

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
New or SH starter?? Earlier models have been known to have starter motors that sound a bit like how you're describing.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Can you take a video? At the moment all i can picture in my head is a Chain Rattle.

Also what does a full refurbished engine mean? Different engine? or just put a new chain kit and other parts in your old engine?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Can you take a video? At the moment all i can picture in my head is a Chain Rattle.

Also what does a full refurbished engine mean? Different engine? or just put a new chain kit and other parts in your old engine?
Good question