Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Mylink updates are free, but you may have to fight a little to get it for free, But the map updates they charge arm and a leg for maps 2 years outta date (or there abouts)

Who knows how out of date they are or how they collect "latest" road info?

Yesterday we arrived home from a few days away.

We came home the "long way" and I noted that my maps (updated last year) still have what is now an extended 80kph zone (south of a country town) showing as 100kph.

The extended 80kph zone was there the last time we went to Mount Isa - nearly 4 years ago!

If anyone sees a guy on a pushbike with a few scraps of paper, that'll be the map updater.

It takes him a while to get around...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yep, this years February map update is also outdated according to an earlier post.

The fact that HCC can’t say how recent the latest maps are is a sad indictment on Holden and their map provider. Don’t know why anyone would pay for an unknow, likely still outdated map.

If we had to rely on accurate maps for self driving cars, guess self driving machines would be a rather long way away. And the irony that most auto manufacturers are myopic isn’t lost on the fact many of them are working hard on vision systems for their self drive machines. Lord help us o_O

M

mwb235

If anyone sees a guy on a pushbike with a few scraps of paper, that'll be the map updater.

It’s reassuring to know the map updater has such advanced tech at their disposal. I thought they were still using carrier pigeons...

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
The extended 80kph zone was there the last time we went to Mount Isa - nearly 4 years ago!
yep as mentioned, on the Feb 18 update its still shows speed cameras on the M4 in Sydney which also haven't been there for 4 years.

Juicifruitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 ssv redline
Who knows how out of date they are or how they collect "latest" road info?

Yesterday we arrived home from a few days away.

We came home the "long way" and I noted that my maps (updated last year) still have what is now an extended 80kph zone (south of a country town) showing as 100kph.

I was told by Holden, when I had them updated on a work car, that they were 2015 maps and were the latest on Vic.

I didn’t see a guy with a push bike, did see a guy with a walking frame with table attached taking notes, may be the push bike broke.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Don’t know why anyone would pay for an unknown, likely still outdated map.
I'll do it because I want the integrated HUD to be useful for as long as possible, and a 2015 map is more accurate than a 2012 map.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Well my one is still going strong. Since last September (2017) I have had two complete Map update + at least 3 to 4 firmware updates. I even notice the speed changes on Oakey Flat road Morayfield was corrected in the last updates. Also I like now when there is a speed change It warn me and tell me the New speed ahead (up the top) and changes to the new speed (down the Bottom Left)
Also I dont have to touch the Sat Nav on both of our cars as both of the Sat Nav update as soon as they are in the garage via WiFi.
Also the Redlight combination and Speed camera are extremely accurate.

FU.K Holden for there stale maps + there Speed cameras that are not on the Last VF commodore ever built (yes that stale)

Ddavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII Calais (not Calais V) with satnav option
View attachment 198500 View attachment 198501

I got the Evoke headunit and fitted it. But there were a couple of issues...
...In the meantime my OCD will just have to live with the useless factory nav and three useless nav controls/buttons, but as a consolation Lsxtreme can definitely remove Stitcher and Pandora which I will get them to do soon (I haven’t got a price yet). One thing’s for sure - I’m not paying Holden for two year old map updates and the added bonus of all the troubles that other members in this thread have had!

Thanks for the pics and details. After scouring the Internet for a workable and affordable solution and looking at what you tried, I've come to the conclusion that I'm stuck with what I've got and I'll just go back to sticking my TomTom on the windscreen or using my iPhone with TomTom or Sygic software - all of which are excellent with totally up to date maps at all times. Even Google maps or the iPhone Apple map are way better than the MyLink rubbish.
I have just got my car back from the local dealer after I requested the latest (Feb this year) map update that I read about on this forum.
I took pics of the update they just did and have just compared them with the pics I took when they last updated them in Dec 2017. They are exactly the same! What the &*^%?
I'll be contacting tham ASAP to ask what the ??? is going on!
However - before I do that, here are the software levels now, can someone tell me if they are in fact the Feb update? Maybe I got a pre-production update in December?

Page-1.jpg

page-2.jpg

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
What I like about the Garmin drive Smart 61 is I used POI Editor for my own POI's but now I use the smarter Extra POI Editor so as an example a NEW school went in (beside contact Garmin with info + lat and Long) I can have Directional POI with a POI in the center so If if I come to a NEW POI (say a New school) it warms me about the 40 KPH but when it hits the second POI in the middle where ever you set it up it spits out Insults that I have written on the computers setting the POI (aca "Cops Hiding Behind the Bush"