Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start rattle on LS3 - piston slap :) Engine replaced

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
If it has stop-start, it can be a bit unnerving until you get used to it!
My mrs' Mazda 3 has stop start...
That's the first thing i turn off after i start the car :)

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
My son has an Astra R+ auto with the 1.4 litre engine. I love it. I did test pilot drive a 1.6 RS (or RSV), the front wheels were too wanting to slip and spin. I think the base model was better balanced package and wouldn't waste the money on the higher spec purely for the additional power.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I second that on the front wheels spinning. Think it was the top model I had for a few days and it was just rediculous how much the front wheels lacked grip.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Sounds good but do confirm that Holden will warrant the work for the 2.5 years left on your vehicle.

It may also be worth discussing with Holden the fact you do loose block life if they rebore and fit oversized pistons so early in an engines life. If they accept such a view, that you are short changed somewhat, it may be that they reconsider and provide a new engine.

Floating sleeve block in LS so no problems there.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Floating sleeve block in LS so no problems there.
Yeah LSx has a floating sleeve design but aren’t the sleeves rather thin and difficult and expensive to replace? Not like the old 253’s and 308’s where you could get 2 or so re-bores with oversized pistons out of the block. If so it doesn’t change the meaning of my comment.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Yeah LSx has a floating sleeve design but aren’t the sleeves rather thin and difficult and expensive to replace? Not like the old 253’s and 308’s where you could get 2 or so re-bores with oversized pistons out of the block. If so it doesn’t change the meaning of my comment.
Very easy to replace, no oversizing anything it can be rebuilt with oem parts. If the builder measures each bore they may only have to replace a few?