Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Memcal tuning

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
My mates 360 stroker went 260rwkw forgies rods chev crank with Holden snout -9 heads with porting and a mild hyraulic ft cam yt rockers and a single plane with a demon carb pacemaker tri ys twin 2.5" it's getting a solid soon and hopefully over 300kw

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 355 + VF Clubby W375 + ZB RSV
Correct. Series 2 168kw was flywheel from factory.
205kw was at wheels. I’m guessing around 280kw at flywheel. Pretty good gains pre new exhaust cam head work.

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 355 + VF Clubby W375 + ZB RSV
My mates 360 stroker went 260rwkw forgies rods chev crank with Holden snout -9 heads with porting and a mild hyraulic ft cam yt rockers and a single plane with a demon carb pacemaker tri ys twin 2.5" it's getting a solid soon and hopefully over 300kw
I’d be more than happy to get 260.
Looking forward to seeing.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I am not sure of your point? Stock motor means untouched not all the mods you just listed. Pretty obvious you would notice a gain after mods and tune.

Even stock motor will get a decent gain from the HSV memcal, add exhaust and intake which aren't really much at all and standard fare these days (and really still a stock motor) and more to be had. Even the HSV 185i has some left in it, rather tame tune. The 185i is a stock motor (mechanically identical to the 165kw SS), only had shorty headers and the HSV CAI isn't much to talk about either, more show than go. HSV got rather lazy after the VN/VP stuff they did. I'd barely call a exhaust and CAI major mods.

So my point, your rather negative view of a memcal tune was based on the fact you started with a 185i clubsport, anyone starting with a 304 is going to see a lot more from a basic memcal tune than you would have.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Personally, I started with 424 pcm and 165kw tune. Changed to 531 pcm and 195i tune and power felt same but stopped the occasional stumble at low rpm. Then got ace tune and felt same except nicer shift points in power mode. Then went to NVram with enhanced bin and it’s exactly the same (all I’ve done so far is change fan temps and add 8psi to upshifts). Fuel usage same between all.

I dunno, maybe it’d be more clear if I were able to compare directly back to back. I love the idea of the NVram now and wouldn’t do it any other way. I wouldn’t bother with a tune at all now without a cam, knowing what I know now.

Spoke to Errol from EFI dynamics the other week, and he reckons they’re incredibly easy to tune compared to later stuff with torque management etc. So if you’re not totally computer illiterate you’d pick it up pretty quickly

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Personally, I started with 424 pcm and 165kw tune. Changed to 531 pcm and 195i tune and power felt same but stopped the occasional stumble at low rpm. Then got ace tune and felt same except nicer shift points in power mode. Then went to NVram with enhanced bin and it’s exactly the same (all I’ve done so far is change fan temps and add 8psi to upshifts). Fuel usage same between all.

I dunno, maybe it’d be more clear if I were able to compare directly back to back. I love the idea of the NVram now and wouldn’t do it any other way. I wouldn’t bother with a tune at all now without a cam, knowing what I know now.

Spoke to Errol from EFI dynamics the other week, and he reckons they’re incredibly easy to tune compared to later stuff with torque management etc. So if you’re not totally computer illiterate you’d pick it up pretty quickly

So where you running the 424 on a roller motor?

Again I think this is more to do with making the tunes safe for the average driver, the 304 can take a heap more timing down low, why is it my old VN V6 could light up the rear tyres easier than my HSV Senator? When I got my Senator the distributor was set at 12.5°BTDC (the poor mans tuning tool) on top of the HSV tune ;) Greenfoam proved the 304 can take a heap more timing down low without issue. If you compare a 165 to 185i tune, the majority of the fuelling changes are around peak power, down low the maps are fairly much identical.

Holden deliberately reduced throttle response on the 304 roller motors just like they did with the ecotec motors by putting that large lump of alloy inside the TB that keeps one side of the butterfly covered (and reduce the flow by half) until you get to about 10-15% throttle.

Last edited:

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Come Twin Throttle Body
Hyd cam-2500-6200rpm
Lifters, tie bars
valve springs
Roller rockers
Heads ported-Higgins
Difillipo exhaust
3500 stall
True trac 3.45
It’s nothing too special to look at.
Clean VS S pac ute with peddars and vs senator rims. Want to keep it stock looking.
Sounds quite similar to my combo.
I'd be interested in a copy of your tune if possible to email through (and would fine tune from there, once in the car)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
So where you running the 424 on a roller motor?

Again I think this is more to do with making the tunes safe for the average driver, the 304 can take a heap more timing down low, why is it my old VN V6 could light up the rear tyres easier than my HSV Senator? When I got my Senator the distributor was set at 12.5°BTDC (the poor mans tuning tool) on top of the HSV tune ;) Greenfoam proved the 304 can take a heap more timing down low without issue. If you compare a 165 to 185i tune, the majority of the fuelling changes are around peak power, down low the maps are fairly much identical.

Holden deliberately reduced throttle response on the 304 roller motors just like they did with the ecotec motors by putting that large lump of alloy inside the TB that keeps one side of the butterfly covered (and reduce the flow by half) until you get to about 10-15% throttle.
No, ran both computers on the same old ft 304 engine with crane 268. Nothing else changed.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh, ok. The Crane 268 is basically what HSV used in the SV5000i and if I'm not mistaken they were rated at 200kw. Wouldn't have been great on a stock 304 tune either way. HSV actually put some timing into that tune.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Ahh, ok. The Crane 268 is basically what HSV used in the SV5000i and if I'm not mistaken they were rated at 200kw. Wouldn't have been great on a stock 304 tune either way. HSV actually put some timing into that tune.
I had the1 put the 200kw tune onto the later 424 memcal for me. But turned out I must've supplied a bad memcal. Had issues with the auto - would rev to redline between changes and slam back into gear. Put the stock memcal back in pretty quickly and all was good again.