Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold start rattle on LS3 - piston slap :) Engine replaced

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Here is a recent video I recorded on my iPhone of the cold startup noise on my SS. You can really hear it when you get under the car. As others have posted it goes away after a few mins of driving and the engine reaches operating temperature. Still undecided whether to live with it or keep pushing Holden. I'm just worried they will do more harm than good.

Mine was not audible at idle...
Only under load when cold...

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Same with mine, no sound when cold started and idling around, but you hear a rattle tinging sound when accelerating from low speed at 1500rpm and above...

If you open the door and accelerate slowly from 0 to 30km/h, you can hear the sound more clearly comimg from underneath the car.

This particular noise goes quiet after a km or 2.

My car also (seem to) makes other noises after warmup, but doesn't seem to be related to piston slap anymore, doing the same open the door and slowly accelerating to 30 from 0, the same noise present at cold engine is no longer present underneath the car. But I swear I could sometimes hear other tinging sound when accelerating... lol

Of course my visit to the stealer yeids "nothings wrong was found" and "could only hear the bi-modal exhaust" lol

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Yes but once warm it was ok.

How many KMs has his and yours done with the PS symptom?

From what I read, the general consensus is that it usually doesn't affect the engine reliability besides sounding like **** (every morning)... lol

And after owning my last car (BMW 335i), with the N54vinfamous wastegate(s) rattle, I'm used to my engine sounding like **** as long as it doesn't cause any major issues med/long term (10 years, 160k km).

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
here are some more recordings. Does not sound as bad in the garage. Definitely can hear it when driving it cold.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
here are some more recordings. Does not sound as bad in the garage. Definitely can hear it when driving it cold.

Yeah...does not sound healthy
Thats what mine sounded like.
Try different dealer.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
First clip sounds a bit like a knocking lifter.