Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Slosh Sound

mitweiler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V S1 6L
^ yeah, i agree that a fuel pump should not fail so early.
But i hear all sorts of stories about people getting fleeced so i was curious.

It's good that Holden came to the party and honored their ACL statutory warranty rights (they wrongly call it good will but it's law)

Enjoy continued driving of the beast :)

Yeah i am quite happy too they did. Cheers you too

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I hear the sloshing of fuel when I reverse into my garage.

I don't know how it sounds in a sedan but in my Ute it's very noticeable, in fact so noticeable I took the Ute back to the dealer the day after I bought it to find out what the cause was.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Yeah, it's just a cheap molded or blown plastic tank with no internal baffles.

They are unlike some old style metal tanks which could be made with complex internal baffles and flaps to minimise fuel movement. To do the same with current plastic tanks would just increase their manufacturing costs negating any benifit to the makers of having a cheap to make tank.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
But the VE had similar tank and you didn't notice the noise of the fuel moving about. The Holden car is not the only car that does this. Other manufactures do the same.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ true, though i don't know if the VE and VF tanks are exactly the same.
It just needs a small shape change for the fuel to slap the inside of the tank harder than in the previous tank design, thus making the sound noticeable.

Such could have been fixed with internal baffles or different shape to not allow a strong wave of fuel to build up and hit the inside of the tank causing noise. It's just cheap design and all companies are guilty of this.

Sadly the general trend in all product manufacture is cheaper and cheaper design and cheaper and cheaper parts being used. Added to this is an attitude that things are disposable and you find yourself in 2020 o_O

Pity the "environmentalists" don't see designed obsolescence as an issue that needs to be attacked.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Hear this all the time in my sedan when the radio is quiet and I’m doing short slow moves around my driveways. But on my god I had the back seat out thanks to the dog making a mess one weekend and it is so loud when its just the floor pan between the fuel tank and the cabin.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I dont see an issue with this...
Hypersensitivity to liquid movement phobia...

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
^ true, though i don't know if the VE and VF tanks are exactly the same.
It just needs a small shape change for the fuel to slap the inside of the tank harder than in the previous tank design, thus making the sound noticeable.

Such could have been fixed with internal baffles or different shape to not allow a strong wave of fuel to build up and hit the inside of the tank causing noise. It's just cheap design and all companies are guilty of this.

Agreed, I owned four VE's, two sedans and two Utes and never heard any sound from the tank yet I heard it on the first day I picked up the VF2 so there must be something that is different.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I dont see an issue with this...
Hypersensitivity to liquid movement phobia...

Yeah the rattles and squeaks while driving are far more annoying then splish splash whilst parking.