Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Evoke impressions

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I don’t own a VF (sister has an SV6, and I’ve spent enough time in a series 1 SS to know it drives better than my VE), but to me that looks like you’re averaging 7.3 yeah? I wasn’t exactly poking fun at your mate, but honestly, the VE handbrake is not an issue if you actually think about what you’re doing while operating a motor vehicle. I actually like what Holden did with it by trying something different to the ugly, outdated (but functional) umbrella handbrakes that every other manufacturer had back in the 2000s. The integrated handbrake also made LHD export interiors a bit easier, so bravo Holden for thinking big/out-of-the-square with a small budget. People hurting themselves using them makes me laugh. Sorry, now I am poking fun at your mate.

He is clumsy. Beside a wicked driving style accounting for his ridiculous fuel consumption (in the VE, long ago gone), he wrecked a $7,000 large format camera at Phillip Island a few years back (insured though). Turned his back to get a film holder and the wind blew it into rocks!! More recently he sat down on a bushwalk, not seeing an eastern brown right next to his boot!

I'm on the road again today, and VF is recording 6.4 AVG and 4.4 BEST on benign open roads (100km/h, running PULP98). Should touch down in Wagga Wagga after lunch.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
He is clumsy. Beside a wicked driving style accounting for his ridiculous fuel consumption (in the VE, long ago gone), he wrecked a $7,000 large format camera at Phillip Island a few years back (insured though). Turned his back to get a film holder and the wind blew it into rocks!! More recently he sat down on a bushwalk, not seeing an eastern brown right next to his boot!

I'm on the road again today, and VF is recording 6.4 AVG and 4.4 BEST on benign open roads (100km/h, running PULP98). Should touch down in Wagga Wagga after lunch.
Welcome to Wagga Wagga! Puddles are a bit scarce lately. But, that's no reason to dis our local roads! Actually dis away. Our roads are crap. ;)

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
From memory I’m pretty sure it was widely acknowledged at the time that the vast bulk of the billion dollars was spent on the new platform (necessary to keep the building of Commodores in Oz alive at the time) and overall exterior design & so not a lot remaining for the interior.

Interesting, I don't recall reading anything like that at the time, or since. VE was actually the first Commodore to offer three distinctly different dash designs: Functional (Omega), Sport (SV6, SS, SS-V), Luxury (Berlina, Calais). WM was different again. That can't have been cheap.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
In Albury tonight.
Roads?? What about them??
Wagga Wagga had a lovely, calm cityscape with the caravan/camping park by the Murrumbidgee - - very noyce!! Last visit was in the winter of 2007!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Did you go to the pie shop in Wagga Wagga, the one that one the national Best Pie comp about a billionty years in a row?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you go to the pie shop in Wagga Wagga, the one that one the national Best Pie comp about a billionty years in a row?

Only Bakers Delight and Bendigo Bank, a skinnydip in the Murrumbidgee , then Maccas for dinna (I know, not the nicest choice, but I was VERY hungry!!).
Home to Melbourne tomorrow (440km), but apparently with lengthy detours on approach because of roadworks (?). Drrrrft.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Interesting, I don't recall reading anything like that at the time, or since. VE was actually the first Commodore to offer three distinctly different dash designs: Functional (Omega), Sport (SV6, SS, SS-V), Luxury (Berlina, Calais). WM was different again. That can't have been cheap.
Yeah not sure...I don’t think I imagined it...maybe others can chip in?

What I didn’t imagine was my (and maybe it was just me) definite feeling that after going from a VT2 S pack to a VX2 to a VY2 Acclaim to a VZ2 SV6 then to the VE1 SV6 (MY 09)...that last transition was the only one that I was less impressed with the interior on the whole when compared to the previous...the plastics all seemed hard, even attempts at softening as with the top of the dash, door trims etc. still felt just hard plastic..moreso than even with say, the VX. Mind you this was the era when manufacturers started to look for every spare gram they could jettison for the sake of fuel economy. Speaking of which, I’m 80kg and the driver’s seat surround collapsed within warranty and the replacement only lasted for about 12months..it was simply too light and cheap.

Mind you we also had a 2010 VE2 SV6 ute and it’s cabin felt much much better in all the previous respects. Holden did really appear to skimp on those first VE models in their rush to get it to market...but for all that I still loved it!

Don’t get me wrong...it was my pride and joy and I loved the shape, the balance...I remember the 50/50 weighting with the short front overhang was certainly raved about from the beginning...and everything else about it...just loved it. If I could have kept it when going to the VF2s I certainly would have. The anticipation, history, nostalgia and everything else about the launch of the VE was something I will never forget...they were the days, which sadly are no more.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I can recall that we were told the VE body would only have a six year lifespan before the next totally new bodystyle would be released, compared to the nine year lifespan of previous bodies. The GFC screwed that plan and ultimately, Holden.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
6 years for VE sounds very low ... if they said that, they were fibbing! Almost nothing is fully new in such a short cycle.