Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Evoke impressions

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
6 years for VE sounds very low ... if they said that, they were fibbing! Almost nothing is fully new in such a short cycle.
Yes, it did sound like a short cycle I think it was Simcoe who made the statement. I suspect it would have been Wheels magazine around the time of the VE's release. In those days, I never missed an issue. It was quite a definite statement and the reference to the nine year cycle of previous models resonated. (1978 - 88, 88 - 97, 97 - 06)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yes, it did sound like a short cycle I think it was Simcoe who made the statement. I suspect it would have been Wheels magazine around the time of the VE's release. In those days, I never missed an issue. It was quite a definite statement and the reference to the nine year cycle of previous models resonated. (1978 - 88, 88 - 97, 97 - 06)
Note that I'm not doubting you, more them ... lookit the Japanese for example, everything's grandpa's axe rather than fully new (current Mazda3 for example is mods-to-mods-to-mods-to the original Mazda3 that replaced the 323, despite it being the 4th generation). Same with Toyota. Same with VW come to think of it.

Having typed that, I don't remember enough about what VW or Toyota were up to in terms of platforms in the (say) late 90's. Maybe each new generation was a brand new design, in the main? Subaru's been grandpa's-axing their entire range pretty much since they released their first car which didn't drive like a Hilux, the Legacy, in '87 ...

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Note that I'm not doubting you, more them ... lookit the Japanese for example, everything's grandpa's axe rather than fully new (current Mazda3 for example is mods-to-mods-to-mods-to the original Mazda3 that replaced the 323, despite it being the 4th generation). Same with Toyota. Same with VW come to think of it.

Having typed that, I don't remember enough about what VW or Toyota were up to in terms of platforms in the (say) late 90's. Maybe each new generation was a brand new design, in the main? Subaru's been grandpa's-axing their entire range pretty much since they released their first car which didn't drive like a Hilux, the Legacy, in '87 ...
How old is the current lancer platform

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
hi mate the steering was a huge Gripe of mine with the VE sometimes it was ok then others it felt really wooden and stiff, i found it very susceptible to differences in tyre pressure to the point it changed the steering feel completely, I guess I was expecting the BMW like steering as praised by Peter Robinson at the time, it just turned out to be a throw away line that was never reality.
It's all personal having owned 5 VE,s still have 2 have always enjoyed the steering handling, my VF2 SS just not that connected feel like the VE

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

I think we have to think back to what the VE represented and the fact that it was pre GFC. This was the car that was going to be GM' s new platform for a range of Australian and overseas models. Quite possibly, with the anticipated range and wider market, 6 years was a realistic expectation. For example, how long does a bodystyle remain current in the US?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
For example, how long does a bodystyle remain current in the US?
Well, Chrysler 300 is a slight upgrade to a cheapened-down Benz W211 from 2002 ...

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Going from a VT2 S pack to a VX2 to a VY2 Acclaim to a VZ2 SV6 then to the VE1 SV6 (MY 09)...that last transition was the only one that I was less impressed with the interior on the whole when compared to the previous...

I actually tend to agree here. The VE Series 1 SV6 and SS were the dullest of the VE interiors -too much black. Hell, even an Omega had more ambience. When I bought my SS 18 months back I made a few deliberate upgrades to SS-V spec. Having said that the core bones of VE interior was much better than anything before it, in my view. Berlina, Calais and WM had a lovely air about them.