Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cost to install new shocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Just in case you forgot what you wrote.

Glade your not working for NASA all there buggies be bouncing off the planets in space after hitting a bump, they will keep going up. ;)
Watch the video I posted for you..

Do you actually know anything, other than youtube and google? I seriously doubt it, so why not just disappear into space, where your intelligence level is

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A shock works by controlling bounce (down ward motion) and rebound (upward motion)….

A shock starts failing by not controlling the rebound side of the stroke, which means the tyre looses contact with the road surface....It maybe only be for a fraction of a second, but it is enough to cause uneven wear issues across the tyre face over time.

As a result of it failing to rebound, it means the car lowers slightly...It might only be 1 MM to begin with, but that is enough to change your camber settings, which in turn changes your toe settings. The longer the shock is left un-replaced, the lower the car becomes and the longer the tyre looses contact with the road surface...

This is why you should have an alignment performed when shocks are changed, despite what maybe claimed, because of how the shock works.....

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Wouldn't know the price, because I got mine for free....Courtesy of the old man
First U say ...... In fact, a cheap set of spring compressors will set you back about $50 .... When I mentioned they are much cheaper then U say ... Wouldn't know the price, because I got mine for free.Courtesy of the old man..... OMG U have issues man. The proof is in the pudding

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Considering the area you are getting your tools from, you might be able to suggest where I can get some good greenery
I didn’t say I bought any tools, I said there are cheaper ones available up at Smithfield on ebay you can’t read to well and stop TWISTING THINGS,

Sorry mate can’t help you ....I dont do drugs or visit the places you go to get yours from.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
why such donkey sheet dribble, a shocker is mainly for comfort in dampening shock and vibrations of bad road surfaces on the chassis and suspension parts and feel for passengers, however they also act as one important safety part with the tyres and suspension of the handling of the car as well. If you just change shockers, there's no need to waste money on a wheel alignment unless your getting new tyres fitted at the same time. Your old tyres are already worn in and should be ok, unless you have other suspension/bushes/chassis wear and tear, anyways after changing shockers if there are any issues you will see it in the steering and any tyre wear and then you can spend for a wheel alignment.

Even if you get a wheel alignment after new shocks you only have to hit a few holes n rough patches and your suspension settings will most likely shift and you need another wheel alignment, one of the biggest money scam tyre places inflict on people. The best one is if you raise or lower pressures, does that not change settings .

If your dancing and you click your heels together should you go get a shoe alignment because your heel is out hahahaha or if one of your leg is shorter than the other on contact with the road/ground does that mean you need a caster/camber kit on your foot/shoe or maybe raise it with a shoe insert.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
You do realise that every time you change your front shocks on cars now you have to change the struts and if you remove the struts you change the alignment on your steering and change the camber/castor even the most uninformed should know that, if you don't you shouldn't be touching your car leave it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
You do realise that every time you change your front shocks on cars now you have to change the struts and if you remove the struts you change the alignment on your steering and change the camber/castor even the most uninformed should know that, if you don't you shouldn't be touching your car leave it to someone who knows what they are doing.
I don't touch new cars with warranty, and everyone knows you need a wheel alignment on strut/suspension/chassis/bushe changes but thanks for reinforcing it, my old timers disease aint getting any better.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I let it rest at this post, vc says shocks don't have nothing to do with keeping the rubber to the ground and I'm a joke, next his posting when the shock goes bad your wheels have less contact to the road, I think he needs to lay off the bong. Make up your mind.

Shocks do not lift your car the springs resettle, no more dribble about rebound and bounce we all know if the shock is rooted its not rebounding or absorbing the impact but still bounces up and down due to the spring but at a much faster rate.
The spring takes all the weight and energy and the strut and shock job is to absorb and damping that energy and to minimize the spring travel so your not bouncing down the road, and to give you a smooth ride on the road and help with cornering while keeping you in contact to the road surface, it also stops dipping the front end when braking and stops your tail end from dropping on take-off.

As to the wheel alignment if you haven't had it done while you had bad struts then replacing them will put it back to the correct position as before they went bad, totally up to the op if to do it or not, depends how old the tyres are.
sorry for sounding like a crack record..

Status
Not open for further replies.