Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cost to install new shocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You do realise that every time you change your front shocks on cars now you have to change the struts and if you remove the struts you change the alignment on your steering
How? The steering rack tie rod ends stay the same level..

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Someone lock this thread it's just become a drivel competition.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
First U say ...... In fact, a cheap set of spring compressors will set you back about $50 .... When I mentioned they are much cheaper then U say ... Wouldn't know the price, because I got mine for free.Courtesy of the old man..... OMG U have issues man. The proof is in the pudding

Stated a rough price, because I didn't buy mine.....Do you need me to put in a story behind everything like this?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I didn’t say I bought any tools, I said there are cheaper ones available up at Smithfield on ebay you can’t read to well and stop TWISTING THINGS,

Sorry mate can’t help you ....I dont do drugs or visit the places you go to get yours from.

Oh so we know how you get them....Say no more

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
why such donkey sheet dribble, a shocker is mainly for comfort in dampening shock and vibrations of bad road surfaces on the chassis and suspension parts and feel for passengers, however they also act as one important safety part with the tyres and suspension of the handling of the car as well. If you just change shockers, there's no need to waste money on a wheel alignment unless your getting new tyres fitted at the same time. Your old tyres are already worn in and should be ok, unless you have other suspension/bushes/chassis wear and tear, anyways after changing shockers if there are any issues you will see it in the steering and any tyre wear and then you can spend for a wheel alignment.

Even if you get a wheel alignment after new shocks you only have to hit a few holes n rough patches and your suspension settings will most likely shift and you need another wheel alignment, one of the biggest money scam tyre places inflict on people. The best one is if you raise or lower pressures, does that not change settings .

If your dancing and you click your heels together should you go get a shoe alignment because your heel is out hahahaha or if one of your leg is shorter than the other on contact with the road/ground does that mean you need a caster/camber kit on your foot/shoe or maybe raise it with a shoe insert.

Another one that doesn't know how they work, despite me putting it up.....Can't help those that are beyond it...

Oh and scam.....If I scammed people, people wouldn't keep coming back for me to work on their cars....

Time for you to move on

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I don't touch new cars with warranty, and everyone knows you need a wheel alignment on strut/suspension/chassis/bushe changes but thanks for reinforcing it, my old timers disease aint getting any better.

Double dutch posting…...Read the thread and comment properly

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I let it rest at this post, vc says shocks don't have nothing to do with keeping the rubber to the ground and I'm a joke, next his posting when the shock goes bad your wheels have less contact to the road, I think he needs to lay off the bong. Make up your mind.

Shocks do not lift your car the springs resettle, no more dribble about rebound and bounce we all know if the shock is rooted its not rebounding or absorbing the impact but still bounces up and down due to the spring but at a much faster rate.
The spring takes all the weight and energy and the strut and shock job is to absorb and damping that energy and to minimize the spring travel so your not bouncing down the road, and to give you a smooth ride on the road and help with cornering while keeping you in contact to the road surface, it also stops dipping the front end when braking and stops your tail end from dropping on take-off.

As to the wheel alignment if you haven't had it done while you had bad struts then replacing them will put it back to the correct position as before they went bad, totally up to the op if to do it or not, depends how old the tyres are.
sorry for sounding like a crack record..

You obviously don't understand how a shock actually works, despite my posting....Even this write up, you have said, it keeps the tyre in contact with the road....What happens when it fails? Go test a stuffed shock out of a car and take note of how it reacts, then comment

Status
Not open for further replies.