Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Goodbye... Holden :(

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
Some of these questions are very easy to answer. In relation to the future of dealers and spare parts, there will be Hyundai/kia/Toyota dealers with Holden spares available through their spare parts departments. That's been the system for years at Holden dealers where other brands were secondary. The tables are simply reversed. Those dealers that survive the blood letting are those with multiple franchises. Some might be scrambling to establish them about now but might have left their run too late.
Future of GM in Australia? Non existent after the end of this year. No more US models then. No Arcadia or Equinox. No Chev Camaro or Corvettes because GM wants out of RHD markets. As for the Colorado, I'd suggest it dies but we get the latest MU-X sold as Isuzu. Trax, gone. We wont get the replacrment model. I reckon the Isuzu will be the only vehicle with any connection to Holden that will be available.
I thought we would end up as GM Australia, but not so. It should mean the Holden name and logo is available for any interested buyers of Oriental origin. Holden by Long Dong Motor Company anyone?
I think Holden will only be interested in the 10 year scenario for 'existing' customers. To me, that means ZB and any other new car sold in 2020 or thereabouts. Everything else preceding that will be getting the chop as far as parts are concerned, starting with older models first. VZ > VE > VF in that order as well as non Commodore models of that vintage. The Rare Spares of this world are probably looking at doing deals with Holden already.

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
China will make good quality after market parts once Holden stop making them. They are rubbing their hands more money going their way..
You'll find that they already sell parts to Holden as genuine components. Now that the gate has been left open the market for Chinese made Rolex car parts will explode.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I think Holden will only be interested in the 10 year scenario for 'existing' customers. To me, that means ZB and any other new car sold in 2020 or thereabouts. Everything else preceding that will be getting the chop as far as parts are concerned, starting with older models first. VZ > VE > VF in that order as well as non Commodore models of that vintage. The Rare Spares of this world are probably looking at doing deals with Holden already.

10yrs from first year of model manufacturing. 2023 for VF..anything before that..nope.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
10yrs from first year of model manufacturing. 2023 for VF..anything before that..nope.
Actually from what I remember of the law, though I can’t remember which statute it’s under, the manufacturer or importer must provide parts and support for 10 years after the end of product sales (for specific model)... not measured from start of a model manufacturer date :eek:

Since VF’s were selling in 2019 that would mean GM/H must provide parts and support till 2029 at earliest which is a few years more than my VF delivery date of 2018 + 7 year warranty ;)

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I think they should of stopped producing commodores 10 years ago and went in a new direction, I reckon they only kept producing them because of the V8 supercars, if you look at the last 10 years the average sales is about 25 thousand cars a year, last year didn't even pull 6k, you cant blame them for closing, poor sales as cost of living is putting burden on families to buy a new car and our government not supporting them by buying imports for our emergency services like police force.
They went from 70k a year average in a 10 year period to only 25k no business can operate at a lose. Why would you spend 40k on a Holden when you can buy a new SUV import for under 25k. Free trade baby its killing our economy.. Australia is a laughing stock to the world, we sold all our richer to greedy cooperation's from foreign country, gas electricity everything is owned not by us even though its on our soil, China pays less for gas and power and they have to ship our gas and black coal. The Libs way to fix money problem sale off our companies, now its land, once that's gone we screwed, you don't see the Arabs selling their oil business to foreigners. 600 jobs gone by the end of the year that's the start then the chain effect will start leading to thousands unemployed.

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
What I hate is we can have cheaper cleaner power using black coal which will reduce carbon by 30% but no that's for China so they can be the supplier to everyone around the world while we burn dirty brown coal,
What alt.right bullshit website did you get that crap from? There is actually only a few percent difference in CO2/heat between black and brown coal.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Actually from what I remember of the law, though I can’t remember which statute it’s under, the manufacturer or importer must provide parts and support for 10 years after the end of product sales (for specific model)... not measured from start of a model manufacturer date :eek:

Since VF’s were selling in 2019 that would mean GM/H must provide parts and support till 2029 at earliest which is a few years more than my VF delivery date of 2018 + 7 year warranty ;)

yeah don't think that's the case.. what if new VF sales had have hypothetically been continuing now or into 2021/22 for a handful of unsold cars?

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43