Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I think we have reached peak stupidity

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If most people were fit and healthy with strong immune systems there would not be a pandemic...
The virus was called ‘novel corona’ virus, later dubbed SARS-CoV2. It was called novel because it’s new to the human species.

As such, even fit and healthy humans haven’t been exposed to such a virus before. As a result our biology doesn’t have the presence or biological history to ward it off and illness and for some death occurs.

If you let it run through the population, as would occur in historically earlier times, then those whose biology fluked an effective immunology response would survive. Those that don’t, death.

Ones fitness and good health is no panacea. Such a belief is ignorance in totality which was demonstrated so clearly some days ago on Bondi beach.

Guess the adage of “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” seems rather apt but if we stand idle, the death toll will be huge and you may be amount them ;)

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Not really, just the biggest worm in the swamp thinking about his re-election chances.

I meant that's what it would come down to. The healthy survive.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
This virus has demonstrated how excessive our reliance on China as a major trading partner has become.
True. Hopefully post pandemic, we rebuild manufacturing for national security reasons so we are without such reliance on a foreign power.
When the epidemic has passed, I hope the world looks at China in a harsh light and reassessed their relationship...
It has been declared a pandemic so best to use the correct term... As an FYI, these are the definitions:

Definitions
Based on the disease prevalence, incidence, and the known or unknown disease pathways, there are several ways an epidemiologist might describe a disease event:
  • Sporadic refers to a disease that occurs infrequently or irregularly.4 Foodborne pathogens, such as Salmonella or E. coli, can often cause sporadic disease outbreaks.
  • Cluster refers to a disease that occurs in larger numbers even though the actual number or cause may be uncertain. An example is the cluster of cancer cases often reported after a chemical or nuclear plant disaster.5
  • Endemic refers to the constant presence and/or usual prevalence of a disease in a geographic population.4
  • Hyperendemic refers to persistent, high levels of disease well above what is seen in other populations. For example, HIV is hyperendemic in parts of Africa, whereas many as one in five adults has the disease, and endemic in the United States, where roughly one in 300 is infected.6
  • Epidemic refers to a sudden increase in the number of cases of a disease above what is normally expected.7
  • Outbreak carries the same definition as an epidemic but is often used to describe a more limited geographic event.8
  • Pandemic refers to an epidemic that has spread over several countries or continents, usually affecting a large number of people.9

By contrast, a plague is not an epidemiologic term but one that refers specifically to a contagious bacterial disease characterized by fever and delirium, such as bubonic plague.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
The virus was called ‘novel corona’ virus, later dubbed SARS-CoV2. It was called novel because it’s new to the human species.

As such, even fit and healthy humans haven’t been exposed to such a virus before. As a result our biology doesn’t have the presence or biological history to ward it off and illness and for some death occurs.

If you let it run through the population, as would occur in historically earlier times, then those whose biology fluked an effective immunology response would survive. Those that don’t, death.

Ones fitness and good health is no panacea. Such a belief is ignorance in totality which was demonstrated so clearly some days ago on Bondi beach.

Guess the adage of “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” seems rather apt but if we stand idle, the death toll will be huge and you may be amount them ;)

Ermmmmm ... no. The immune system recognises everything that is non self. Get yourself a good immunology book.

Start here:

51Mb7fifAbL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Cellular-Immunology-Self-Not-self-Bk/dp/0522839282

basic-immunology-6ed.jpg

https://www.booktopia.com.au/basic-...MI9aSq7Iez6AIVyROPCh2mTwGTEAQYASABEgLwqvD_BwE

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I don't think the Professor at the PMs live speech was taking snippets from the internet.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Not always.

Wow i could have saved 4 years of full time study for a BAppSci and instead sat on the couch watching TV ...

What was i thinking ...

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I meant that's what it would come down to. The healthy survive.

Seemingly healthy people have died from Covid19 so that theory isn't fool proof either.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Seemingly healthy people have died from Covid19 so that theory isn't fool proof either.

This is about immunology and immune function. It has nothing to do with "seemingly healthy" ...

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wow i could have saved 4 years of full time study for a BAppSci and instead sat on the couch watching TV ...

What was i thinking ...

The immune system isn't perfect, nothing is. Autoimmune disorders come to mind.