Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS questions

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
For $18,000 with 120,000 k's you should be able to pick up a redline. Better suspension and brakes. Great handling car and easy 50 rwkw gain with tune, cold air, extractors and 2 1/2 exhaust.
I previously had a 2007 ve ss ute that was six months old when I bought it. I traded in a vy 11 ss, the ve was far superior in every way. Having owned it was the reason I bought the redline.
I have owned the car for over 2 years. In that time I have had to replace the strut towers and am about to have the engine mounts replaced.
My wife who is not a car person said the other day she could not think of a reason to ever get rid of it.

Furyfire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Thanks for the info!! Lots of help.

Question, if I get an l76 and AFM is in good condition, am I still likely to face issues with the lifters down the road if I decide to buy that device thingy which disables AFM?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual

Question, if I get an l76 and AFM is in good condition, am I still likely to face issues with the lifters down the road if I decide to buy that device thingy which disables AFM?
yes because disabling the afm is done electronically in the computer, all of the hardware remains inside the engine still you can do a cam upgrade and delete all of the afm gear by replacing the lifters with standard ones (and all the other lifters too of course), standard valley plate etc etc but $$$ if you wanna go down that route

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

How long is a piece of string ?
They could go for years, they could of been replaced,
If the car was maintained correctly, and driven correctly,
they could last for years.
But if it has had been thrashed, it would be like playing Russian Roulette.

Personally, look for a L77, that would also be piece of mind,
remembering, they are a refined motor and the lifter fault in the L76 had been rectified in the L77.

On a site note, I have a friend that has 2009 Calais with a L76 with 160,000 k/s on the clock,
and its almost in mint condition,
And it still runs like new, no noise, no rattles, and he has had it serviced as per schedule.
The only thing I did on it, was change the Alternator last year for him as he was heading O/S, and it failed on the way to the airport, and had to get the car towed back to his house, and they needed the car when they got back.
Other than that, its been a very reliable car, again its been looked after.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
For a few seconds only. Use it just on weekends so it sits a bit.
Same as mine, it’s not every cold start either I have noticed an improvement after using nulon lifter free in mine

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Same as mine, it’s not every cold start either I have noticed an improvement after using nulon lifter free in mine
Yes I did they same, much better after lifter free. About to change the oil again, see if it's still nice and quiet without any nulon in it.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Just hit 175k kms in my L98. I cant fault this engine for smooth/quiet running. Does a lot of regional highway running so never works hard and has had a good service history. 9s per 100km or less is easy even without AFM so dont stress too much about economy.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Yes I did they same, much better after lifter free. About to change the oil again, see if it's still nice and quiet without any nulon in it.
I didn’t put any in my last oil change and still seems the same although next oil change I wanna put some more in again

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
I didn’t put any in my last oil change and still seems the same although next oil change I wanna put some more in again
Good to Know. Thanks